• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need OC advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rugal282

Registered
Hi!
I am facing some OC problems. First let me tell u the whole story.
[My specs are: Asus P4P800-DLX(Bios 1016), P4 2.4c(MO), Kingstone DDR3200 (2x256MB), Zalman heat sink, POWMAX 580Watts PSU, Chaintech 5900XT

Well first i took my FSB all the way to 250 (3.00GHz) with 1:1 with default Vcore MEM accerlation Enable and Performance mode set to Standard. It is working perfectly fine, and it is a very strange thing that my memory is running at this speed.
After running it 2 or 3 months on this speed i wanted to go more up, so i took my FSB to 265 memory set to 5:4 (204) timings(2.5 - 3 - 3 - 7) (and VCore set to 1.53) system starts fine everthing goes fine but when i run Prime95 it gives me error after 1 min, now i tried every thing change my ram timings and VCore every thing the last FSB i can boot my system is 284 (3.4) but its not stable.
well i want to know what can be wrong what i am doing wrong PLZ give me suggestions that what thing i have to change if i need to go more up

What are your other mem settings? ie 16T, 15.6 usec, 4 dram burst length. Make sure you have legacy USB support DISABLED. Also select 1.4 instead of 1.1 for the MPS (not sure the exact label). I would think 3.2 is doable, but take the vcore up to 1.585 or 1.60 in the bios.

Also, post your idle/load cpu temps. I can't see the zalman being all the powerful for a heavy oc that you're looking for.

The other timings are 8T, USB legacy support is Disabled and i will set the MPS to 1.4 now as u said. The temps are at 3.18 GHz are Idle 29C and full load 44C. VCore is set to 1.60. now what should i do still not stable :bang head

Set mem performance to standard or disabled. Hmmmm, there's a setting near mps, ICH Transaction, set it to DISABLED, also set Spread Spectrum to DISABLED. Do you notice under load if the vcore goes from like 1.616 or 1.632 down to 1.5?

Yeah all done and i have noticed under load the VCore does goes down from 1.616 to 1.5 some times and also when its not in any load :mad: :cry:

The infamous Asus droop..... :( , unless you want to droop mod, keep the voltage around 1.585 and it doesn't dip so much. Basically the 1.6-1.675 settings don't work and overvolt like mad at idle and undervolt like crazy under load.

:attn: THANX Sp00l ! Its working fine now with VCore set to 1.58 PAT mode Auto MEM Acceleration Mode set to AUTO, my FSB is set to 267 (3.20GHz) memory ratio set to 5:4 (214MHz) timings (2.5 - 3 - 3 - 7) and i checked it by using 1 hour of prime 95 no errors and the temp at load is 45C and idle 29C.

One more thing i want to ask what should i do about the DRAM Refresh Timer and there is one more i dont remember both timings are set to AUTO. Is there any other settings for that?

What if i want to go further more what should i do than? :D

What's funny is on my old Abit board I had the bios memorized, but I still can't keep all of the Asus settings straight :)

Ok, I use 8 for the option that gives 4 and 8 as options, then I use 16T and 15 usec for the other 2 ram timings. Auto for those last 2 should be fine and I've seen Infinite and 64 usec working as well.

For Prime95 you need to run 2 instances and let them loop for 12 hours to declare full stability. To run 2 copies of prime (because hyperthreading will make prime95 use only 50%, 2 instances will use 100%), create a second prime95 shortcut and add "-A1" without the quotes in the Target box after "PRIME95.EXE".

To go higher, I'd losen the memory to 3-4-4-8, but you might still be limited. Keep your memory at 2.85 vdimm. Good luck, but bear in mind that 3.2 is pretty good for a 2.4 so don't expect much more, although I hope you can get to 3.3 or 3.4!

Back