• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

wierd start up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PHILIP1193

ok i was overclocking pc i upped fsb to 231 and ran some benchies all well and fine till i came to 3mark 03 i had just run 01 version before it started laying me u so i restarted windows, now what happened was............ was that windows would strat up and anything n my start up folder would run but things like windows start up noise and my antivirus and things like cyrl+alt+delete dont work for about 2 mins after comp has been in windows then it all runs fine

WTF is up with windows????

Phil

Heyoz, first time posting here.

I have a similiar problem with it too.

I don't know how it come about but the situation was that those at the startup folder will not start and some services also. It seems like there is some 'thing' missing that keep other process requiring it to wait for the 'thing' to load. And this thing take anywhere from 2 to 5 minutes. During this time, there seems to be no harddisk activity and CPU usage.

Is this has something to do with the memmory settings or windows itself? Because I changed the memory timming and the startup service settings recently.

chkdsk is no use for me

Thx a lot

EDIT: I just found out.
It's all because or this service called Workstation in WindowsXp
The description of this service in the snap-in is
"Create and maintains client network connections to remote servers. If the servie is stopped, these connections will be unavailable. If the service is disabled, any services that explictly depend on it will fail to start."
This service takes around 2 minutes to start and ony after it started will the other service and application in startup run.

EDIT: Now it's forever 'starting' for this service! :mad:

Attachments

• strange service.JPG
    strange service.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
This feature is not available on Windows XP Home or installed by default on Windows XP Pro, but if needed, you may install it later off the Windows XP CD. Used for setting up a local web server. If you do not need this function, leave it uninstalled, mainly because this service requires IIS Admin to be running and IIS has been "popular" for crackers to break.

This was taken from here .A handy guide for configuring what services you need and don't need.Don't know if you have a use for this or not but it could be used to gain access to your computer.

hem... If I'm not wrong, the description is for World Wide Web Publishing Service
Talking about this service called workstation here.

U may have corrupted windows with the upped FSB..Lower the over clock if it still odes it do a system restore....

Back