• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

280 1:1 vs 230 5:4 what's better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

meionm

I am thinking about perfomance so what would be better

280 1:1 timings 3-4-4-8
or
230 5:4 timings 2-2-2-5/6

can somebody clear things up for me, thanks

dragonhunter said:
why don't you benchmark and find out?

Since I RMA my memory and got refund(since it wan't in stock) I am looking for new one so I either buy something really fast for 5:4 or slow for 1;1

I think you would get alot more benefit from running at the 1:1 speed as you get so much more out of your cpu. I always want the fastest 1:1 clock I can get stable.

I have to agree with Xception here; an extra 50 fsb is definitely going to produce better performance than the tighter timings. That being said, what kind of mind-blowing water cooling and uber-chip do you have that can do 4.2? :)

ive done extensive testing with batboy on this together and we both concluded a few things.
1:1 if you can over 265fsb is best
5:4 under 265 if you cant run your memory 1:1 does just as well.

what we found was you gain a 10-12% boost in efficancy with the 5:4 devider.
this boost is over come at or around 265 1:1 so if you can run that do it.

its odd but a system running 5:4 as my rig doing 294cpu and 234mem in bandwith gets 6200 bandwithmarks.this hase even beat BH5 runnning 2.0-2-2-4 at 250fsb 1:1 :D

i dont match that until i get to 260fsb 1:1 and do 6200 sandra bandwith marks then.

so the 875 chipset has 2 sweet spots for ram:
260fsb and up 1:1
220-2??fsb at 5:4

my goal is withmy new parts 300fsb 1:1
reason is the 5:4 divider has shown to crap out at 300fsb and not like it without volt mods on the NB.so with a cpu im buying that has to run +300fsb my only option is 1:1
unless i dont want to max the cpu out.

deathstar13 said:
ive done extensive testing with batboy on this together and we both concluded a few things.
1:1 if you can over 265fsb is best
5:4 under 265 if you cant run your memory 1:1 does just as well.

what we found was you gain a 10-12% boost in efficancy with the 5:4 devider.
this boost is over come at or around 265 1:1 so if you can run that do it.

its odd but a system running 5:4 as my rig doing 294cpu and 234mem in bandwith gets 6200 bandwithmarks.this hase even beat BH5 runnning 2.0-2-2-4 at 250fsb 1:1 :D

i dont match that until i get to 260fsb 1:1 and do 6200 sandra bandwith marks then.

so the 875 chipset has 2 sweet spots for ram:
260fsb and up 1:1
220-2??fsb at 5:4

my goal is withmy new parts 300fsb 1:1
reason is the 5:4 divider has shown to crap out at 300fsb and not like it without volt mods on the NB.so with a cpu im buying that has to run +300fsb my only option is 1:1
unless i dont want to max the cpu out.

i have found similar results.. when the 875 chipset first came out i got 300 fsb 1-1 on the brain.. its like falling in love or something. somehow intel has optimized their chipset so that around 250+ 1-1 it doesnt need tight latencies. almost like a turbo boost in an engine, once u hit a certain speed it just takes right off...

Well this is weird. I have a P4 2.6 running on a DFI LANParty Pro with 1Gb of OCZ PC4200. I've gotten it up to 3.4, but it will not remain stable. In fact I've been force to lower my FSB down to 250. 250 seems to be my most stable point in 1:1. I haven't messed around with 5:4 timings yet. My RAM is rated to go up to 533Mhz, but right now I can only get it up to 500 - 510 stable. I've even tried rasing the voltage up to 2.9v on the RAM. Nothing seems to work.

I have a great water cooling system set up here too. You can see pics at http://www.phillylan.com/pc.htm I have a PolarFLO SF Block on my CPU, a DD Z-Chip on my NB and a DD Maze 4 on my GPU. All this is running froma Danner Mag 5 through 1/2 ID Clearflex in a huge resevior. I even added a 86" Caprice heatercore with 2 x 120mm fans. This thing never seen higher than 34C load at the highest setting (3.4Ghz).

So where am I going wrong here? I haven't messed with the memory timings much either. They are set at 4-4-8-3. It seems like at a 250Mhz FSB I don't have to raise any volatges at all. Everything runs nice. Once I go over 250 my system will reboot once in a while or lock up in the middle of browsing.

I wish I could go higher, because I know this mobo can do insane FSB speeds.

DirtMerchant said:
Well this is weird. I have a P4 2.6 running on a DFI LANParty Pro with 1Gb of OCZ PC4200. I've gotten it up to 3.4, but it will not remain stable. In fact I've been force to lower my FSB down to 250. 250 seems to be my most stable point in 1:1. I haven't messed around with 5:4 timings yet. My RAM is rated to go up to 533Mhz, but right now I can only get it up to 500 - 510 stable. I've even tried rasing the voltage up to 2.9v on the RAM. Nothing seems to work.

I have a great water cooling system set up here too. You can see pics at http://www.phillylan.com/pc.htm I have a PolarFLO SF Block on my CPU, a DD Z-Chip on my NB and a DD Maze 4 on my GPU. All this is running froma Danner Mag 5 through 1/2 ID Clearflex in a huge resevior. I even added a 86" Caprice heatercore with 2 x 120mm fans. This thing never seen higher than 34C load at the highest setting (3.4Ghz).

So where am I going wrong here? I haven't messed with the memory timings much either. They are set at 4-4-8-3. It seems like at a 250Mhz FSB I don't have to raise any volatges at all. Everything runs nice. Once I go over 250 my system will reboot once in a while or lock up in the middle of browsing.

I wish I could go higher, because I know this mobo can do insane FSB speeds.

its highly unlikely its the ocz memory.. remember at 250 ur cpu is running 3200 so u have probably maxed out ur cpu.. u have a nice setup just begging for a 2.4c chip...

I know. Isn't it weird that a 2.4C is such an animal, but my 2.6C hits a peak. Here is what irks me. I've gotten this CPU up to 3.4Ghz. Booted into windows and ran for quite a while. Even raised the vcore up a bit for stability. She ran great and my temp was a constant 32C. It would go up a little here and there, but never went over 36C.

What this is telling me is that my temps are great and I should be able to go even higher right?

DirtMerchant said:
I know. Isn't it weird that a 2.4C is such an animal, but my 2.6C hits a peak. Here is what irks me. I've gotten this CPU up to 3.4Ghz. Booted into windows and ran for quite a while. Even raised the vcore up a bit for stability. She ran great and my temp was a constant 32C. It would go up a little here and there, but never went over 36C.

What this is telling me is that my temps are great and I should be able to go even higher right?

every cpu has its limit, and i think even at that temp thats as fast as ur proc wants to run...given im a 1-1 phreak but i think u should take some time and find a 2.4c overclocking animal, also it could be ur mb. the only 3 mb's that can run those extremely hi freq's, are abit/asus/and epox... i would be happy to test ur cpu if u want cause i built my rig to go over 300 stable..

DirtMerchant said:
That isn't true. The DFI board is well known for fitting insanely high FSB speeds. That is the main reason I bought it. Even Tom's Hardware just did an article where they used the same board, specifically because it could reach such high FSB speeds. Do your research. http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040517/index.html

no offense, if i runs 300+ great. i probably spoke too soon cause ur right i dont know much about the dfi mb...the only guys i know that can run 300+ with regularity are the epox/asus and abit guys..

so if ur pretty sure it isnt ur mb then its gotta be the cpu has hit its limit.... flappper

How about this. I'll try running the memory in 5:4 then upping the FSB. If it craps out on me then I'll know for sure it's the CPU. If it goes further and stays stable, then we may have a memory issue.

1 thing i do have is ALOT of experince with this type of testing. according to all the overcloking gods(hipro5) 5/4 puts alot of stress on the memory and mb. my highly modded ic7 will not run stable as u approach 300 fsb at 5/4. ur best bet is to run a 3/2 ratio that way it takes the mb and memory totally out of the equation...

Just an unfounded thought.

Talking out of my butt here but it seems to me that at least with the AI7 board when you acheive around 6200 to 6400 transfer rate with the mem your not going any higher doesn't matter what ram ratio you are using. Northbridge limitation ?

Probably someone can say that so and so gets 7000 but maybe NB chips are like cpu's. Some are better than others.

I think the CPU hit a peak. Like I said. It's a 2.6C manufactured in China. The highest I can get it to go is 3.3Ghz. I just messed around with the memory settings and it doesn't seem to want to go past this mark. So right now it seems I'm limited by my CPU. I am hoping to upgarde soon anyway. I think I will get a 3.2 or 3.4 eventually. I am happy at the moment. I'm running a 2.6C at 3.3Ghz. Not too bad if you ask me. I wish I could go higher, but for some reason this CPU doesn't want to play nice. My NB is water cooled by the way. So I doubt that could even be a remote problem.

I can't draw full overclocing potential of cpu without memory that can run 287 1:1, some say try 5:4, I did with kingston pc 3500 which does 1:1 240 but will not boot at 220 5:4, timing were input manually, so far on the memory that I got stable was to 280. I had ocz pc4400 which does only 280 1:1 anything higher than that computer freezes, at 5:4 I was capable to get higher but with errors in prime, Also I observed that when windows loads the Hard drives works much louder at 5:4 than at 1:1

Last edited:
Back