• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

partions and files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wizard james

ok.. i am kind of new to this (not computers tho.. look at my stars lol)

i just installed windows on my computer. theres a 4 gig partion with all the system files on it.

i know the desktop is on that part too. and i have a 145 gb partion for the rest of my files

what i want to know is..when i install files on it does they auto go to the small partion has its C .. or will they go to D ..the 2ed partion ..the large one

also the D partion has all the files in blue writeing.. i dont know why..

my main question is can i have my desktop files on my large drive partion????

Your desktop files are pulled from a folder within documents and settings under your username... That folder cannot be moved or redirected AFAIK - you do not want extremely large files on your desktop though anyways, as it can slow things down.

Everything defaults to installing within the program files folder on C usually. Nothing will default to installing on the secondary partition or drive, though you can configure them to do so through most installation applications. However, some programs will insist on installing some files to the C partition. In my experience, 4 GB is far too small to allot for the system and program file partition - installing programs on the secondary partition is not optimal, they should be installed in with windows.

You should also allot enough room for the pagefile on your system partition, unless you are moving it to a seperate disk altogether.

Last edited:
ahh .... ok so i shold just ...format the whole hdd. split the hdd in 2 .. 80 gigs each

and just install windows on the 80 gig.. and all programs i put in it. then have the other 80 for files of pictures. music and other stuff???

also i ran into an error i had to reboot .. i was flashin the bios when i started it again it started runing windows for half a sec then gets a blue screen

it says to remove any new hdd or hdd controllers ...its not overclocked or anything
i also tryed clearing cmos

80g is alot here is now i split my 120g drive

C 10g - windows and other apps like office / photoshop
D 20g - Gaes and programs i dont want to lose if windows becoming corrutpted and i have to format - as you can format just C drive and the other partition remain in tack
E - 84g - downloads ./ my documents etc etc

your main windows drive i would say should be about 10g and do what ever with the rest - now this does depend on how many programs and such you install - if you want to be safe i woudl say @ least 20g.

@wizard james: I would not split the HDD in two, you would never use 80GB of system/program files. I would create a system file partition of around 10-20GB depending on how many applications you install. (I only use about 8 GB for the programs I normally have installed, so a 15GB system partition would be plenty for me, it would allow growing room to install atleast a few more games/applications)

The second partition for you should be the entirety of what remains. That can be used for file/download/document storage, as well as backing up installation files so that upon reinstalls, you don't have to pull the data off of CD's - its MUCH quicker to install them off of your HDD.

@Mr.Guvernment: Having a D partition for the reason you stated is pointless. It's useless for games and programs - their installs will be broken, and restoring the registry on a new install is sloppy, and impossible to avoid errors with. Might as well make that part of your System partition - especially since that will decrease your drives seek time between OS files and program/game files (you don't want these files split across different different partitions on the same drive, the head travel is increased along with the time it takes to access files).

To do what you claim you are doing with the D partition, you should create ISO backups of your games on the Storage partition, then reload them onto the system partition by mounting those images with a virtual drive tool.

^^^^ I know that - i know i can not run the game/ program after i format the system (well some you can) - but it is not about that - it is so i have my saved games and say for example an FTP client - i have all of my saved directores / sites and such still there for me if WIndows get corrupted and i format again - the info is sitll there and i dont have to worry about taking the drive out - put it in another computer or try some back up software to recover my stuff - it will be sitting on the D drive -

i know i will have to reinstall the games, no problem for me - but @ least i know i have all of my settings / saves etc that i can restore back into the fresh install and not be stuck with nothing.

Good strategy - I misunderstood, it seems the data that is in the program files is what is important to you, not the programs themselves. Good idea. :)

okok.. so .. i made a 50 gig partion for all my files lol.. i just wanted to use windows

i am gona make another 50 gig for all the games i put on (i rip my games so i dont have to change the disk all the time)

now all i need is a list of what to install.. i forgot what is needed and what are wants lol...

Back