• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DD TDX vs Koolance vs PolarFLO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fafnir

say if i were to water cool a shuttle XPC,

and its between the waterblocks:

1. DangerDen TDX brasstop with 1/4 fittings

2. stock Koolance CPU-300

3. and a PolarFLO TT with 2 barbs and both of them are 1/4

the temperatures for the cpu are unimportant, though through flow (or minimum pressure drop) is the most important

which block would you recommend?

the system uses 1/4 connections and has quite a few other VERY restrictive things in the loop, and uses a low flow low pressure pump that only does 79 gph and is ac, with the focus being watercooling a 6800 and the power supply

thanks for the time

_

Well it shard to say as there has been little to no testing using the PF and TDX with such tiny barbs.
What pump will you use?
Play around with this.
I would recommend you forget the TDX as it needs a decent amount of flow to be effective.
From the graph in the link your best bet is probably the MCW6000, as you will have fairly low flow with that tubing size.
The Koolance may just be a good contender also as it is designed to do its best with small tubing. Look into some German-style blocks (Alphacool, Innovatek...)

SenC.

On the contrary, MCW6000 is the most restrictive block so if he wants good flow through the block it's a toss up between the Koolance and the PolarFlo. I have no data on the Koolance but the PF TT has a very low pressure drop graph that you can view on their website www.polarflo.com

Well, maybe I am wrong here but the MCW6000 with 3/8 tubing should outperform the PF TT even at 0.5 GPM.
The MCW's dT of 13 C° @ .5 GPM is quiet impressive.
The PF TT's dT of probably 16 C° isnt bad though.
I would stick with the MCW6000 and 3/8 tubing. If that is not possible (as the thread starter stated it isnt) the best bet would maybe be the Koolance and its native support for 1/4.

SenC.

I just got my koolance system up and running and it works really while the CPU300 is a really nice product I would use that.

Last edited:
Senater_Cache said:
Well, maybe I am wrong here but the MCW6000 with 3/8 tubing should outperform the PF TT even at 0.5 GPM.
The MCW's dT of 13 C° @ .5 GPM is quiet impressive.
The PF TT's dT of probably 16 C° isnt bad though.
I would stick with the MCW6000 and 3/8 tubing. If that is not possible (as the thread starter stated it isnt) the best bet would maybe be the Koolance and its native support for 1/4.

SenC.

He did specifically say he valued lower pressure drop far greater than performance.

i'm with cache
i'd consider the swifty mcw6000 with a 1/4" adaptor
its not greatly affected by low water flow / pressure drops

Korndog said:
i'm with cache
i'd consider the swifty mcw6000 with a 1/4" adaptor
its not greatly affected by low water flow / pressure drops

fafnir said:
the temperatures for the cpu are unimportant, though through flow (or minimum pressure drop) is the most important

which block would you recommend?

the system uses 1/4 connections and has quite a few other VERY restrictive things in the loop, and uses a low flow low pressure pump that only does 79 gph and is ac, with the focus being watercooling a 6800 and the power supply

MCW6000 definitely works better at the lower flow no doubt but he doesn't care about the cooling of the CPU. The MCW6000 being one of the most restrictive blocks will lower flow to the rest of the system which he cares more about such as GPU and PSU cooling and his pump is definitely not going to maintain the same flow with the restrictive MCW6000.

yeah, the entire system is supposed to fit in a shuttle XPC, the newer SN95G5's, with a 92mm rad replacing the stock heatpiped setup

also with a custom watercooled PSU setup and a innovatek GPU set with koolance on the chipsets

i've got this feeling the only pump that i found would fit is going to die after a day with this kind of pressure drop (all 1/4, multiple 1/4 elbows, very werid psu block with 90 degree bends and of course the 90mm rad)

so its between the polarflo and the koolance?

and yeah, thanks again for the time

_

Pretty much, I would definitely suggest looking for a more powerful pump though. Have you look at the Dtek CSP pumps? Extremely small pump but would definitely be more powerful than your current one.

no, its too big, i've been thinking about it though, but 2x2x2 is still a bit big

the current pump is 1.5x1x1.5, and is a eheim

its gotta be this pump

Well of those blocks, the Koolance is the smallest and it does perform quite well, almost as well as a DD TDX. But if you're going with 1/4" tubing, check out the Germans' blocks. They're designed for 1/4" tubing exclusively. Of course, they're more expensive than getting a Koolance block, but they are the best performing for 1/4" systems. Alphacool and Nexxos are the top German block manufacturers currently. The Nexxos block can be had for about $40 if you look around if I remember correctly. Not the newest one, but the previous model (it's only a marginal difference) is about $15 less than the XP which I think is the newest and is about $60.

Back