• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To use or NOT to use THAT is the Question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ble81

I am referring to Heat Spreaders.... I am curently trying to get the best O/C out of my computer and it seems that it is the memory that is holding me back.
I am running an AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton chip NOT mobile and LOCKED.
I am also water cooling it as well with a homemade system that I have recently upgraded (new W/B and H/C). I have 1 stick of 512mb PC2700 133Mhz with heat spreaders and it seems that it is running a little warmer than my other system which is NOT using Heat Spreaders. I feel that it may be the heat spreaders that are keeping the heat in. So to re-ask the question correctly:

To use Heat Spreaders, or NOT to use Heat Spreaders... THAT is the Question..

-Bri

i think some heat being trapted in the heatsinks as with your h20 rig it has no cpu fan having blowby thats hits the ram.it just kinda sits there mabey in stagnent warm air.
adding a fan over them will fix most issues.
yes heat spreaders can be bad or good.

bad: poorley attached with frag tape,no air flow over them cousing the spreaders to act like blankets.
good:when a fixed with good non conductive themal grease and clips,and also when a fan is added over them.

guys ramsinks didnt come about and get there name for being what as heatsink is called you put on your agp cards ram.no!
they came about as heatsinks added to memory sticks ic's to cool them and added fans over to remove the heat.

heatspreaders mostly now are onamental,and help protect the sticks from physical damanage as they are covered.but they can still serve a purpose if they are used correctly.

now im not also saying remove them either and fix the issues i stated as by doing this you void that one thing weve heard about which is "warrenty" i had one once and used it for toilet paper as it was useless for anything i could do:)

lets get back to ocing and away from the lights and glitter of OC-hollywood.

Back