• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

start up programs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dinoo

Registered
I have WinXP Home edition, I would like to know how to turn off programs that start up when I boot the system up. Exp.. I have Yahoo messenger installed and it starts when computer does, I dont need it all the time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Start,Run,type in msconfig,and then select start up tab..You can disable them from running in the services area but this is the easiest way..

or my favorite startup tool... which brings everything together very nicely: startup control panel
access it from within control panel after installing it...

StartupCPL.png

filip04 said:
or my favorite startup tool... which brings everything together very nicely: startup control panel
access it from within control panel after installing it...

StartupCPL.png

No point in running a service to manage a service already running on the computer..That program is great for win 2000 though ..

Actually, wierd things can happen when you start messing with the msconfig settings. I wouldn't recommend that anyone do that unless you absolutely have to. I go by Diehrd's philosophy, and use the StartupCP. It uses hardly any resources, and keeps you from screwing up your registry. Just my 2 cents :)

TeuffelHunden said:
Actually, wierd things can happen when you start messing with the msconfig settings. I wouldn't recommend that anyone do that unless you absolutely have to. I go by Diehrd's philosophy, and use the StartupCP. It uses hardly any resources, and keeps you from screwing up your registry. Just my 2 cents :)

Read closer..I do not suggest you use another program to manage something managable from in windows..Using MsConfig is perfectly fine.. :attn:

Use your registry editor(regedit) go to these keys. Anything in the details pane that you don't want to satart with the machine delete. Just be careful.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

Also check...
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

anything in these locations will startup as the OS fires up.

I personally have nothing in any of the locations. Don't need them. If I want something to run on my machine, I'll turn it on.

My guess is that most people that check those locations will be suprised what is hiding out there.

Back