• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The loot, after three weeks of shopping

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YetAnotherNoob

this is what i bought so far:

Athlon64 3200+/Asus K8V SE Deluxe COMBO ------------ $194.00 ----amd
Speeze 80mm DC Case fan x 10 ------------------------- $10.49 ----newegg
*Vantec Tornado 92x38mm ----------------------------- $7.00 ----anandforum
GeForceFX 5200 (Active Fan) x 2 (one for backup)------- $60.00 ----anandforum
*Thermalright SLK-948u / *Vantec Tornado 92x92x38 ---- $32.50 ----ebay
Artic Silver 5 (3.5g) ------------------------------------ $4.37 ----hardcorecooling
WD 250GB 7200RPM 8MB -------------------------------- $95.00 ----ebay
*Antec PLUS1080AMG w/o PSU w/window ---------------- $45.00 ----anandforum
TTGI 450SS Mirror Black (as backup) --------------------- $21.36 ----direction
Fortron 530w ------------------------------------------- $29.25 ----newegg
18” Dual Round-Floppy x 2, 18” Dual Round-IDE x 4 -------- $11.55 ----iocombo
PNY PC3500 Verto w/Heatspreaders 512MB x 2 ------------ $127.96 ----ebay
Sunbeam Rheobus --------------------------------------- $still looking
Ties or Sleeve kit ---------------------------------------- $still looking
Digital Multimeter ---------------------------------------- $still looking
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Total: $638.48 and counting...

all prices are shipped, and no rebates were involved. and * means pre-owned

i'll replace the tornado with the delta 92mm HHE when it comes back in stock. and i know the 5200 is dated, but my gf4 mx440 handles the games i play just fine, so it was a value buy more than a need buy. the biggest x factor is the pny, thats why i posted this in memory

final setup will probly look like:
Athlon 64 3200+ (newcastle, CG) @???
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
2x512MB PNY Verto PC3500 @???
GeForceFX 5200 128MB @???
1x250GB WD 7200RPM 8MB Cache
2x80GB 7200RPM, 8MB Cache (from old comp)
1xDVD+-RW (from old comp)
Thermalright SLK-948u w/Vantec Tornado 92x92x38
Sunbeam Rheobus v3
Fortron 530w
Antec PLUS1080AMG w/Window

any thoughts? how am i doing so far? how far of an oc should i expect?

Last edited:
I just want to know where you got a 92mm Tornado for $7? Actually, all in all you've been doing some careful shopping, because there are several very good value purchases in that listing.

actually i really wanted the ocz eb(350+ per gig) or even the adata pc4000(240 per gig), but it was 2 to 3 times the price of the pny ($128 for the gig). while i don't doubt it is MUCH better, but 3x better?

Ten case fans and 1 backup video card? Sounds like a bit of a waste there, but everything else looks good.....and don't listen to people about getting good RAM, I got OCZ PC4000 EL Gold and it didn't help the OC at all, so I sold it and got this cheapo PC4000 which runs at the same speed :)

well i needed parts to for the old rig im typing from, as im taking parts for my new rig, and the 300w deer fried a ton of parts, before i even knew it could do that. so $30 for 128MB agp insurance policy didn't sound too bad. but im mostly hoping to find out how the pny might react to the rest of the system. and the 10 speeze fans, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-007&depa=0
3 would cost around $10, and 10 would cost around $10, so i figured what the hey.

YetAnotherNoob said:
i bought the tornado off anandtech forums, and the hd off ebay.

That must have been from one of the guys that read every review on the Thermalright heatsinks paired with the Tornado, but glossed over the comments about how loud they are. I just laugh when people make statements along the lines of not knowing these fans were loud. Its like hello? Anyone home there, have you not read the zillion comments on this?

Well, anyway, their loss, your gain...and my 2 cents worth.

Like I said before, all in all, you've gotten alot of value for your money.

Back