• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800E-dlx ata 133 booting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mortis03

Hey,
I am currently installing a brand new P4C800E-dlx and am trying to set it up to boot from an ata 133 40 gig hdd. The hdd has a fresh install of xp. When I connected it the ata 133 slot, the bios does not reconize it as a bootable hdd. It takes me into a screen for setting up an array. I havent installed the promise drivers yet, so that may have soemthing to do w/ it. I dunno. Any ideas?? I'm going to go play with it some more but a litte direction would be great. Thanks

You need to go to onboard devices>>>promise controler>>>change operating mode from raid to Ide, save and boot, if you are conected to promise ide, also check boot menu after reboot

Attachments

• 4280bb.JPG
    4280bb.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 237
Last edited:
meionm said:
You need to go to onboard devices>>>promise controler>>>change operating mode from raid to Ide, save and boot, if you are conected to promise ide, also check boot menu after reboot

Thank you I found that while I was poking around but it didnt boot still, didnt mess w/ boot order though, i'll check it out.

Thanks

You WON'T be able to boot on the Promise UNTIL you install the Promise "IDE" Drivers.

You will likely need to put the OS HD on the Pri-IDE port (not the Promise) in order to boot, and install the correct drivers. Come to think of it - I'm not sure if you can install the Promise drivers w/o a drive on the Promise controller - but it may let you. Just MAKE SURE you use the "IDE" drivers NOT THE RAID DRIVERS! Once the drivers are installed, you should be able to shut down, and swap the OS drive back to Promise, and set BIOS accordingly (to boot from Promise)...

Be sure to turn off Write Back Caching (that defaults "ON" on the promise), or you may end up with data corruption down the road (there is a special utility - search here or ABX Zone forums for a link)...

Later :cool:

You can install promise without hard drive, you just have to turn it on,

Randyman... said:
You WON'T be able to boot on the Promise UNTIL you install the Promise "IDE" Drivers.

You will likely need to put the OS HD on the Pri-IDE port (not the Promise) in order to boot, and install the correct drivers. Come to think of it - I'm not sure if you can install the Promise drivers w/o a drive on the Promise controller - but it may let you. Just MAKE SURE you use the "IDE" drivers NOT THE RAID DRIVERS! Once the drivers are installed, you should be able to shut down, and swap the OS drive back to Promise, and set BIOS accordingly (to boot from Promise)...

Be sure to turn off Write Back Caching (that defaults "ON" on the promise), or you may end up with data corruption down the road (there is a special utility - search here or ABX Zone forums for a link)...

Later :cool:

Thank you very much. I'll try it when I get home. I figured thats what I had to do, just havent gotten around to it yet. Just got a notebook yesterday and so I was playing around that instead :)

Back