• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which brand?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Hey every1...i was just wondering...what are the top/best brands to buy for DDR memory

I like my King MAx but if I were to buy new ram I would go with Hynix chips. I just walked someone through an overclock and his DDR 333 hynix chips went up to 450. It was amazing.

I like Mushkin. You can't go wrong with Level II Black or 222 Special Mushkin memory.

well you have heard of Winbond and Hynix? and how good they bolth are? ok

well winbond BH-5 was some of the best freaking overclocking memory to ever grace god's green earth, so it was damn good, but winbond dicontinued it, and they came out with BH-6, not quite as good, but still sweeter then hell! I would say that this chip(s) and the Hynix on the EB OCZ are the best on the market for OC'in,

got it? just ask if you need more info!

So winbond bh-6 is just chip that manufacturers put on their sticks? Just like Samsung puts Hynix chips on theirs. Do I have that right?

yes, you have that right, but winbond and hynix are not the only manufacturers(sp?) there are many others including crucial, adata, and many others!

Two more quick questions. I just went to the Kingmax site to try and figure out what chips are on their sticks. Couldn't find what I was looking for. Do they make their on chips? And if they do are they any good?

I dont think they do, but there is a sticky on in the memory forum, that tells all the chip making companies

and i doubt that they are taht good for OC'in, but for every day work they should be fine, but i have no experience with kingmax, so..... yea

Couldn't find the sticky you were refering to but I did look around and I found this;

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?head=83&page=1249

Great memory show down. Kingmax actually puts it's own chips on it's memory modules so now I know. Next time I upgrade I think I'm going to go with Hynix chips. But we'll see I'm not upgrading until Nforce4 so I'll have plenty of time to change my mind a few times over. Thanks again for the help Shard.

So if I wanted mushkin pc3200 - pc4000 dual channel (2) x 512mb (1GB) of memory, where would be the best place(s) to get it from? Anyone have opinions on online stores for memory.
Where would be the best to purchase OCZ eb pc3200 or more?

Or would it be best to stick with Corsair XMS memory? If so, what kind? I'm looking for pc3200 or higher :)

I only ask because newegg does NOT carry OCZ eb nor mushkin 222 @ pc3200 or more.

Thank you much!

jcw122 said:
Hey every1...i was just wondering...what are the top/best brands to buy for DDR memory

Your best bet, when looking for memory is to not get too concerned with brands until you've made a few preliminary choices.

What processor and what board will you be using. Intel and AMD processors operate differently, so each will benefit more from a particular type of ram, whether it be ram capable of running at faster speeds, but lower latencies, or whether faster timings should be your main objective. Along the same lines, certain chipsets used by the various motherboard makers play nicer with certain ram. Checking out manufacturers websites to see if the boards you are interested in have issues with certain "makes and models" of ram could save you headaches and money.

Once you have determined what you need in the way of ram (speed/latencies) then you can proceed with which manufacturer has the best product for you. If you decided for example that it is Hynix chips that you are looking for, then by reading in the forums and product reviews, you can get a feel for which manufacturer is doing a better job of implementing those chips into their DRAM modules, as things like the spd programming and the pcb used will impact just how well those same chips will work on different brands.

There is no perfect ram, and what works for one guy's rig may not be the best setup for yours. When you are asking for suggestions, it would be in your best interest to clarify the system specs so that you don't get all sorts of non-pertinent advice. I guy telling you what he is using on his XP rig will, in most cases, do you no good if you are planning on running a high fsb P4 rig.

www.monarchcomputers.com has OCZ eb 1GB dual channel pc3200, but what if I wanted pc4000?
Also, they do not stock anything over pc2700 in mushkin 222 (the ones with bh6 chips if I'm not mistaken) ??

Back