• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ddr2???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcw122

Sry for the weird title...it wouldnt let me say DDR2 with out messing up the lettering...anyway...What is DDR2? i saw it as an option in the search thing for Memory on newegg.com. Thanks to anyone with a helpful reply.

While DDR2 is high frequency, does it have, like, some incredibly lax timings? The OCZ PC2-4300 runs at 12-3-3-4... but maybe DDR2 is just weird that way.

DDR2 is a technology synonymous with fecal matter. It consumes a tiny bit less power (so what.) and can reach high clock speeds (this is great, if you actually pull a full 5 gigs through your ram every clock [for those of you not computer inclined this will never occur, most likely in the history of computing]) did I mention that it's timings mean the same things as DDR timings? Did I also mention that on DDR2533 it is considered agressive to have timings of 4-4-4-12.

You get the point? DRR2 is similar to RDRAM in nature, sure it has higher clocks but the overall gains from it are non-existant unless you were hoping for reduced performance. In which case DDR2 is right for you.

Ever wondered why the Intel 775LGA highend chipset doesn't perform so well?

By the way, with how the technology works they most likely will never come below 3-3-3-10/12 (although don't quote me, it is possible to get lower, just it will become very expensive as these things sound somewhat hard to fab [don't quote me on that either, not a mature technology and not something you can be completely right on.]) meaning that some DDR400 at 2-2-2-5 will outclass and out perform it hands down.

If AMD ever makes a chipset that only uses this, I will most likely break into tears and walk away sobbing. This isn't a stepforward, it is a step backward.

/Anti-Intel rant off.

I read somewhere an AMD roadmap that says by the 4Q of 2005 AMD will be dual core with on die 667MHz DDR2 memory controllers. So watchout. I know it's a long way off but it seems like it is going to happen.

Back