• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Directx 9c freezing on install

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

I'm trying to get directx 9c installed and am having a problem with the installation program hanging and lodging in memory. I've tried both the web install and the redist install and the same thing happens on both. I get through the disclaimer screen and when i click install, the program just hangs. The download version doesn't start the download, and the redist version says checking system files for update. If I open the task manager, it shows the program as 'active', using 6333 kb of memory but 00 CPU. It will not allow me to terminate the program/process and the only way to remove it from the task manager at this point is to reboot.
And yes, I turned off Norton and ZoneAlarm prior to the start of installation.
Any suggestions? :bang head

Try deleting all the Oem*.inf files in the Windows\Inf folder whose size is 0 KB. You'll need to have Explorer show all files...Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder Options | "View" tab | Click "Show hidden files and folders". You'll probably have to delete the files from the command prompt, after temporarily moving all the remaining files (greater than 0 KB in size) in the Windows/Inf folder to a temp. folder. After you've moved the remaining files, open a command prompt...Start | Run | Type cmd, and click OK | Type...

cd \windows\inf
del oem*.inf
exit

You'll then need to move all the files from the temp. folder you created back to the Windows\Inf folder.

The procedure worked! Thanks for the input. I was able to just right click and delete the files, but I had backed up the entire folder first-just in case. There were five total that had 0 kb content. Thanks again for the help!

Back