• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building a water cooling setup...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sp1k3

Im thinking about getting a water cooling setup rather than fans, since i was going to use a tornado or 2. and was worried about the sound (since i sleep with my computer in my room). I was wondering if you guys would recommend a kit over just picking the parts out by hand for a new comer to water cooling. Im still kinda scared of the idea of having water near my computer. but i have read a couple of threads saying that water goto on my vcard and it didnt damage it. so i am wondering how all that works. any pumps resovoirs... etc things you guys would reccomend for me? Thanks

Make your own.Its alot easy to recommend things when we know what you want to cool and how much money u are willing to spend.

lol i forgot about that. im getting a p4c800deluxe-e or whatever. and a 2.4c. some dual channel 512x2 mushkin level 1. and im willing to pay for no more than 250$ I want a vga cooler, and a nb cooler (of course). but i noticed that not very many kits offer the nb cooler in the standard packy. which kinda makes it more of a hassle than its worth. Thanks

There are a lot of ways to go about water cooling and some of them are IMO a waste of time.

Waste #1:
Buying the best of high performance parts when what you want most is quiet- heavy overclocking is not involved in the system.

#2:
Getting a kit or pre-made system when you WANT to maximixe the overclock you get and don't really care about noise level.

#3:
Buying something "easy" before you really even know what YOU want.

The first thing to decide about is overclocking- there are no pre-made kits that will get you MAX overclock like a DIY setup with a rheobus (to reduce noise when needed.)

If overclocking is not the big issue but noise level is, then you are faced with another choice:
Kits cost more and are easier to install but give lesser performance as a rule.
Do It Yourself is cheaper- or for the same money gets you more stuff and better performance.

YOU have to set your priorities first if you really want to get your money's worth, IMO.

What a jerk I am, eh? Making you work and didn't even post about a single component, lol. :)

But seriously, there are a lot of options and not a single one is suitable for EVERY situation.

ok i am wanting really nice oc. like as best as i can possible. and sound is somehwat of an issue. no louder than 30dba. which i guess might be loud for what cooling. but i dont know, (being that im new to water coolin).thanks

Sp1k3 said:
ok i am wanting really nice oc. like as best as i can possible. and sound is somehwat of an issue. no louder than 30dba. which i guess might be loud for what cooling. but i dont know, (being that im new to water coolin).thanks

The linked thread shows some good ideas and components-

The pump used looks like one of the expensive ones (sorry breezed through without reading much ;)) but there are less expensive alternatives to meet a budget.

But a thought on Budgeting- I'll suggest a few things, especially since you are going for low noise with a high oc:

start small- rad, fans, pump and cpu block. Don't skimp on these components.

There is a link in Cyber Deals about Sanyo-Denki fans- excellent deal for good fans.
A good pump is worth big money: it can last you for years and through many iterations of the system.
a rad like the fedco 342 (right number guys? memory may be acting up. lol) is a good choice: single pass that fits 2 120mm fans per side- excellent performance.

Get a decent cpu block to go with the above, and some tubing- 1/2" Clearflex (thickwall) is pretty popular stuff- and you are set to go and should be well within your budget. :)

Add video and northbridge blocks as budget allows.

ok thank i was thinking about getting the white water wb. But im unsure about a pump. and the radiator. i was suggested to get a chevette 87 or something like that i cant really remember. But im kinda unsure about putting that thing in my computer since its for a car

Sp1k3 said:
pump suggestions?

I haven't bought a new one in quite a while...the last was an Eheim 1250, and I have gotten a few used Eheims as well.

These units are dependable old standbys, and they do work well and last quite a long time- but there are newer pumps for around the same money that are said to be better.

I think if I were going to buy a brand new pump I would get the MCP600 from Swiftech, but that's me. ;)
I'm sure there will be man other opinions on that choice of parts.

So far im getting the white water wb, the black ice radiator, and a 5.25 drive resovoir. im unsure about the MCP600, its pretty expensive. but what do i know :) i mean ill pay the money if its worth it.

I would build your own custom watercooling kit as opposed to a kit. Better performance. go to procooling.com for research. I'm in the process of saving up for a custom system. I plan on going with Danger Den TDX with nozzle 4, DD Maze 4 GPU, Danger Den 12V pump, DD clear resorvoir, 77' Bonneville heatercore with 2 120 mm fans mounted on it with a custom shroud. Suggest using push/pull technique to get close to ambient temps. If you plan on a nb cooler you can expect a few degrees higher in temps in the loop. You can build an external case if all these components willnt fit. 3/4 angle alluminum and pop rivets is good material to construct this. here is my link on my current build...
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=308031

definetly build your own kit, i made the mistake of getting a water-cooled koolance case, and while it keeps my cpu cool, i hate it cuz the tubing is small as hell and the performance is just not what i want. im in currrently creating a custom kit that will cool my cpu and video card. all those fans get a lil noisy =P picz.jpg

BE CAREFUL WITH THE NORTHBRIDGE ON AN 8X5 BOARD! Too many threads about the nb core cracking because of those ****ing loops.

Sp1k3 said:
ok thank i was thinking about getting the white water wb. But im unsure about a pump. and the radiator. i was suggested to get a chevette 87 or something like that i cant really remember. But im kinda unsure about putting that thing in my computer since its for a car
an 1986 chevette heater core is about 20$ but you will nead to put barbs on it and work beter than black ice a pump you can get from an pet shop.
and i whuld think of putting a water block on NB most of time its overkill

Back