• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1GB or tight timings and 512 ???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Senater_Cache

I am not very knowlegable about memory, and need to ask the following question.
Would I see better performance in gaming and CAD apps with 1GB @200+fsb and looser timings, or with 512mb @200+fsb and tight timings (2-2-3 or 2-2-2).
IN short ...
shoulda get a gig with CL2.5 or 512 with CL2?

SenC.

what hafa said^^

.5 CAS won't really be noticeable, but 512 -> 1024 will. (Unless youre an avid gamer)

i'm sorry, but even with gaming in mind i cant believe the .5 cas would make enough difference to be noticed unless benchmarking. am i wrong??

nope, you are right...I doubt anyone here could sit down to 2 identicle systems one with a .5 CAS higher...hell even 1 CAS better and tell a difference in anything otherthan synthetic benchmarks. tight timings are for show IMO. If someone says xxxx timings are noticebaly faster, I'd bank on placebo effect.

Well play farcry on 512mb then play it with 1gb and i think you will stick with the 1gb.
I wonder how ram hungry doom3 is?

Back