• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

tRP / Memtest86+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Undread

Registered
Note: I am NOT overclocking, keep this in mind when reading and responding please :)

I just upgraded two computers from RDRAM to DDR and got 2 Corsair VS 1GB PC3200 Dual Channel kits.

Soon after, one of the two comps would crash out of warcraft 3 with a memory could not be read error.

I ran the memtest here http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ over 9 hours, and got 0 errors (tested both comps just to make sure).

Next I ran memtest86+on both comps, one of them had no errors after 2 or 3 passes, the other had massive errors on test 5, and 1 or 2 on test 7 almost every pass. I heard that relaxing the timings might help. Default timings on this ram were 2.5-2-2-6 (and 8 for DRAM Burst Length an extra option), i went through and changed it to 3-3-3-8 (and 4 for DRAM Burst Length) ran 5+ passes of 5 and 20+ passes for 7 each and no errors for either.

Then after some fiddling I found that 2.5-2-3-6 ( and 8 for DRAM Burst Length) is the highest performance timings that the ram does not error in (if i drop tRP/Precharge to 2 instead of 3, it errors on tests 5 and 7). So basically I can set it to the Auto timings except tRP/Precharge has to be 3 instead of 2.

What i'm wondering is, how come the normal timings for the RAM do not work? Is this a normal thing? And why would the tRP be the thing causing errors and not anything else? Lastly, should I RMA this as bad RAM and be without a comp for a week or so (one of the comps isnt actually mine), or is loosening the timings not that big a deal?

Thanks for your help guys!

Corsairs VS (value select) ram wont run 2.5-2-2-6. I'm pretty sure 2.5-3-3-6 is their stock timings. You can try raising the Vagp voltage and vdimm voltage if you want to try for 2.5-2-2-6, but I doubt you'll make it there

Steve

Ok, interesting, I wonder why when I told the bios to set the RAM to default SPD timings it set it to 2.5-2-2-6.

Also, why is it that one of my computers CAN run it at that speed and the other cant? Did I basically just get lucky?

Btw these DDR400's are downclocked to DDR266 since the P4's in both systems are 400FSB. Dunno if that would make any difference in the stock timings etc.

Back