• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Speedtouch USB drivers Killing my computer - PLEASE HELP!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

envy

Speedtouch USB drivers Killing my computer - PLEASE, PLEASE HELP!

Ok, this problem has been annoying the $#%^& out of me for AGES! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I recently built a new computer (see sig for specs). I installed everything I needed, including the drivers to my SpeedTouch USB modem for ADSL. I first installed the ones from the CD that came with it, then updated to the latest from the website. My computer would give me BSODs dozens of times a day (really extremely regularly), I scoured the Windows database and found that the problem was caused by a device driver, but it couldn't determine which one. So naturally i tried formatting and installing all the stuff one by one to find out which driver was causing it.
When i formatted, however, I couldn't finish the windows installation (XP Home, Pro had been on it before but I don't have the Pro disc) because it would give me BSODs during the installation process. So i had to take it to my friend in the computer shop and he managed to get Pro installed for me again. He installed all the core drivers (by core i mean the disc drives, video drivers etc) and benchmarked it to make sure it was stable, he told me it was rock solid. I got it home and began installing the other stuff...the crashing started again after I installed my SpeedTouch USB modem. I uninstalled that, deleted all the registry keys etc and it is STILL crashing! I am now running internet on an Ethernet cable through another computer that has the SpeedTouch USB hooked up to it and the drivers installed. So that I can have net without having the modem installed.
Im just back from America for a month (holiday) and i brought back a Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Firewall Router, D-Link AirPlusXtremeG 108Mbps Wireless PC Card so i can set up a Wireless network, both computers are on the same desk so it doesnt really matter, but i have a laptop that I need wireless net for. I need to buy a new ADSL modem here in belgium before I can set that up though.
I really need this problem sorted before I set up the new network though, it was fine before I installed the modem drivers. I don't want to format again because Im afraid i'll have the same problem and have to take it to the guy at the shop again and i wanna do it myself if possible to save time and not annoy him.

Sorry this post is so long, thanks in advance!!!!! If there is anything else you need to know then just post and i'll answer asap. THANKS!

I've tried all types of speedtouch USB modems, theyre rock solid.. I dont know how your getting your problems
It could be that you got a faulty modem so you could always take it back to the store you got it from and show them that it doesnt work..
It also could be from your motherboard usb controller but thats really a rare chance..

Go with plan a , take it back to the store

well i never had problems with it on my older computer (Athlon XP 1600+, 256mb DDR pc2700, geforce2 MX400) but the problems on this computer start, like i said whenever i installed the modem.. i think its an IRQ problem of some sort.
All the error messages I get are related to a driver (driver_irql_not_less_than_or_equal & page_fault_in_nonpaged_area) are the two most common ones and when i look them up on the windows support database i always end up with 'this problem is directly related to a driver but we cannot determine which one'

ARGH! :( I need to get this sorted before i set up my new network too...this really sucks..

Know its a bit late but what model is the SpeedTouch Modem?

I ask because I have one sitting in my car that is incompatible with Windows XP because the drives are horrible. It is not the modem and its not the machine, it is the drivers we discovered (yes even the lastest ones and beta drivers)

Ended up getting a NIC card and a NIC DSL and that fixed the problem.

Foxy

Sarah (beowulf) : *walks to tina*

Tina (Gendels Mom) : "Leave my home!"

*Both fight for a few seconds*

Daniel and Nataly walk up

Daniel : "why are you guys fighting?"

Tina : "He killed my son!"

Nataly : "Oh, alright....see you later!"

*the two continue fighting*

*Sarah cuts off Tinas head*

*enter the king - Nataly*

Nataly : "Did you kill Grendel?"