• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[?] Is water wetter, coolant, or antifreeze really necessary

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nugg3t

well the title says it all. is it necessary???

right now i have distilled water + my complete WC kit. i just need the go ahead, if i can go w/out the antifreeze/coolant ill go.

thx, nugget

PS: sry about the other thread in the wrong section ( in WC stickies )

As far as I am aware, the additives prevent algae build up and help break waters surface tension, both of which are beneficial. Although I wouldn't think distilled water would have a huge algae build up but I could be wrong.

Yes.
After 6 months of use, (sometimes in a shorter lapse of time) algae will grow up. And if you have at least 2 different metals in contact with water, a corrosion inhibitor is a must-have.

thx alot guys.

oh i have an other question, i drop some distilled water on my gpu block, dont ask why and how. and now theres some small stains. should i get worried about this.

thx for everyone posting. one of my buddies told me about this forum. im glad i joined!

nugg3t said:
thx for everyone posting. one of my buddies told me about this forum. im glad i joined!

Heh, welcome to the forums and feel free to contact anyone if you need a hand with how the forums work and stuff. I also recommend reading though the FAQs and rules (link in my sig) so you can be familiar with how things work here.

envy said:
your temps wont be as good as they would be if you had an additive in there
Not really true. Pure water is best for heat dissipation but not good for corrosion or growth. I would run about 10% antifreeze with an all copper/brass setup and about 25% antifreeze if there is any aluminum in the loop.

nikhsub1 said:
Not really true. Pure water is best for heat dissipation but not good for corrosion or growth. I would run about 10% antifreeze with an all copper/brass setup and about 25% antifreeze if there is any aluminum in the loop.

could i use water wetter instead of antifreeze , or both???

It's been recommended to go with one or the other, preferably antifreeze. There is some controversy as to the benefits of Water Wetter over antifreeze, plus WW has been known to stain your tubing pink.

I hate water wetter for computers! It stinks, and the worst part is it leaves a white film everywhere... turns to slime after a while. I would stay away from it altogether. I use antifreeze (bout 10% and a bit of Hy-Per Lube which you can get at most auto stores, I know that autozone has it.

Yes. I have seen some HORRIBLE things in a system with no additives.
I use water wetter and it does stain your tubing and smell a little, but it works great.

nikhsub1 said:
I hate water wetter for computers! It stinks, and the worst part is it leaves a white film everywhere... turns to slime after a while. I would stay away from it altogether. I use antifreeze (bout 10% and a bit of Hy-Per Lube which you can get at most auto stores, I know that autozone has it.

hm...could you use just that hyperlube product?

nugg3t said:
could i use water wetter instead of antifreeze , or both???

Just use one type for best performance. You should read through the water cooling additive guide on our front page. It is very in depth and explains all you options including concentration rates which are important for effective cooling.

I use water wetter and I have no big compliants. However, as mentioned it smells and stains tubing. I've also noticed that crud builds up in the resevoir after time.

I don't have anything in my system neither but the tubes have fogged up though. I'm positive that the heatercore was flushed(used detergent and lots and lots of warm water) so I'm not sure what's makign it fog up. Looking into the resevoir, it doesn't look like anything's floating around.

Back