• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different loop(advice)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tekko

I'm looking into getting some water in my rig and I've been reading and looking for a moment and I go a funny idea for a tri-block, dual pump setup and I would like your advice/opinion/suggestion. It might have been duscussed already but I have not seen anything about it so far...sorry if it's a repost.

The idea I've come up with is the following One reservois that feeds two loops.

Loop 1: Reservoir -- pump (high flow/low head) -- Radiator(most likely a non restrictive heatercore) ---back to Reservoir

Loop 2: Reservoir -- pump (decent flow/high head) -- waterblocks (CPU/GPU/chipset) ---back to reservoir.

Here it the why of it all(but I could be wrong):

In loop 1 since you have only one low restrictive "obstacle" you put a high flow pump that will increase the heatercore efficency, maybe go dual. That loop sole purpose is to cool.

In loop 2 you take the most efficient block even if they are a bit more restrective since you have a shorter loop and a pump with more head to compensate. This loop purpose will be to take away heat.

Where I think it could gain VS the more traditional loop is in the efficency of individual component and having a pump adapted to the need of the loop's components.

The cons I can already see are the following with my taughts (), more parts in the system which increase the possibility of something going wrong(not much that can be done about that), having two pump will add heat to the system(--), having different flow/head in the same system (having a reservoir could act as a buffer), more costly system(will give me more time to thing about what I'm doing while I get the money). Having to build/mod a reservoir (unexperianced in WC in general so small apprehension in the domain or custom/modding).

Sorry about the long post and if you need I could make a visual representation for the more visual type.

well if you're having 2 loops, you may aswell just add a core and run 1 for cpu and 1 for gfx / chipset, giving better flow for each block?

most people don't have room for two heatercores bob

tekko i think that is a really good idea. it would clean up tubing immensely, granted you could find a good place for each pump. with some quick disconnects it would make an external box or a heatercore outside super easy. i'd definitely want to make sure the gpm of my heatercore loop is a lot higher than my block loop though

sort of but I was thinking about putting the rads on top with a shroud as to have it really close to the res(few inches) to maximize the loop and make it a really fast. External would work well too I thing, dual rads as sides pannel pump and res between the rads, just need to drop the cpu/chipset/gpu line and back up via small holes the case roof, that would cleanup the tubing inside.

Last edited:
arg!

i just bought all my stuff for a single loop 3 block setup! now after reading this and JoeCamel's post i want to go buy more stuff for a dual loop setup!!

curses! more $$$!

Back