• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-G, tempturature

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Roof Jumper

I just built a rig for my brother with the following:

P4 2.8E w/ swiftech MCX-478-v(vantec thermoflow)
abit ic7-g
1gig corsair value ddr3200
saphire 9800pro-128mb

and used some of my old harddrives etc. for the rest.

now here is the problem, the thing idles at 60c. I know that the prescott cores overheated, but I also heard that the IC7 series is very unreliable in the tempurature probe department. My question : presume I have the thermal paste on properly, is this the actual tempurature, or is it wrong. If so, just how wrong?
thanks

i just finished setting up a similar system...same chip with a thermalright sp-94 and am idling at 56C. I was also wondering if this was typical. I have heard abit boards display higher temps. Whether they are more accurate seems to be up for debate.

Abit's probe generally report +10 temperatures.

That leaves you at 40 degrees idle, which is somewhat high, but still normal when taking into account, that its a Prescott, possible high ambient temperature(?), and the fact that your thermal paste hasn't "settled in" yet.

I have the IC7-Max 3 and have just upgraded my bios to 1.6.

My Zalman Reserator is cooling my 3.2 Prescott (@3.5) to 38c when idle and about 46-47 when under load.

Better than I expected if the truth be told.

Check your bios version as my temp did drop afterwards (50c idle before)

Read this entire thread:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=312281
and the link posted in the first post.

Also, there's alot of information and guesses regarding this circulating
around here and on other forums.
There are no real answer to the readings of _any_ motherboard, and saying that Abit mobos show +10C is false. There are a lot more factors involved than just a simple offset value.

I'm using the Abit IC7-G here also.
I have my [email protected] cooling by CoolerMaster Hyper6.
At room temp 30C, idle is 45C, and full load is 56C.
I'm using the newest bios 25.

I upgraded from I think it was bios 20 to 25 just today. And all I can say is its the exact same temps if not hotter :( Thought the temperature thing was fixed. Oh well was worth a shot at least.

i have a 2.8e on a MAX3 and my temps with the stock HSF were 52'c idle 73'c load when i got it i nearly crapped myself untill i was told this was normal for a prescott. with my zalman cnps7000cu they were 46-48'c idle and 67 load.

Just got a basic water set up and at stock im 39'c idle 47'c load.

My room temps are 25-30'c

However, I got to say Prescott is HOTTTT....
I use to close my door, but now I have to open it all the time. Otherwise, my room gets so hot.. :)

Back