• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ram on a budget, help plz!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mirage_03

first of all, thank you for reading this.

2nd, here is the deal. i have about 100 bucks to spend on ram, and i need whatever will give me the best results. i have 2 sticks of samsung pc2100, one 512mb one 256mb. i have an nf7 mobo and an XP2400+. i want to upgrade to faster ram, obviously, so i can up that FSB and oc this thing. in the future, i plan on getting a mobile 2500+ as well. i don't know much about ram but i've heard if i use my current pc2100 sticks with the faster pc3200 or whatever ram then it will all run at only the speed of the pc2100. the only game i play right now is Counter-Strike but i will be buying BF2 and CS:source.

thank you very much for your help!

if u only have 100.oo, and are going to eventually upgrade to a mobile cpu, maybe a 512 stick of memory with bt/d43 hynix chips. then when u get some more money u can get another. the pc4000/bt-d43 chips wont give real fast timings at low speed, but with ur money constraints that probably ur best bet. some of the fellows have bought the buffalo pc3700 with the micron -5bc chips but it seems,that they dont do well with the nf7 mb's. also if u have 100 posts there are some absolutely wonderful buys in the classifieds. for instance seanomatic(who works for ocz ) just sold a gig of pc4000 el for 180.00. that is absolutely a STEAL. it usually sells for more than 300.00 new.. goodluck my friend

ty very much for the reply, but what u said didn't make too much sense to me lol. like i said i don't know much about ram. can i get some links plz? thank you!

I'm also on a budget for 1gb memory under 200 euro's.
I'm thinking of either 3200 twinmoss or corsair value select.
512mb twinmoss about 82 euro
512 corsair vs about 95 euro
Used is also an option of course but quality memory is not often sold and if it is always near new price.

Mirage_03 said:
ty very much for the reply, but what u said didn't make too much sense to me lol. like i said i don't know much about ram. can i get some links plz? thank you!

You should read up on what timings mean. Here's a link to the sticky regarding this:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=62006

While tighter timings is usually preferred, looser ones are fine. My corsair value select (about $70ish at newegg) can hit 220fsb at 2.5-3-3 and 2.9V. I gave up my 2-2-2 512mb ram for this 2.5-3-3 gig and I'm glad I did.

i have hynix bt-d43 chips on my computer.....check my sig. I havent pushed it at all. its at 215 2.5-3-3-11 @ stock voltage.

I have just got 1gb of twin mos dual channel so 2 sticks of 512Mb for £100, and in sandra bandwidth test i get 4900MB/s but i have a p4.
Timings are 2.5-3-3-7 i havent tried changing them as it wont effect my rig any.

Giel get decent reviews.

Back