• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible FSB Breakthrough with OCZ pc 3500 EB platinum

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archangel4life

wow.

Ok. This was suggested by Tony from OCZ. im sure you guys know him.

anyway, i was running into a fsb barrier at 225 fsb with my ocz eb platinum.. i wasnt even prime stable for longer than 10 minutes. This is on an AMD platform, nforce 2 Abit nf7 2.0

the timings i was using were 2.5-3-2-8 the default timings for the ram. @ 2.98 volts to memory.

Tony suggested to try the pc 3700 ocz eb platinum timings of 3-3-2-10.

so i did, and now im not only prime stable at 225 when i wasnt before, but i figured well now with cas 3 i should be able to gain 5 mhz fsb from the ram. so i started pushing.

225, stable. 228, stable. 230? stable as a rock. but was i done? no. with multiplier at 10, and 1.75 volts to cpu, i kept running with it. 233? no problem. wow. 236? easy.

the magic 240? yup :)

im priming 244 right now guys, and for an amd system, this is nuts.

now i think that because the OCZ EB series is designed to reduce "noise" from overclocking , the ram is built around its specified timings. any change in these timings causes instability with the ram, for instance, if its 2.5-2-3-8 rather than stock at 2.5-3-2-8, the ram's stability is hugely affected.

so i believe that the ram's "noise" control is based around the 2 sets of timings, the pc 3500 eb's and the pc 3700 eb's.

so thus a small change like that can allow a huge stability and overclocking increase, based on the design of the ram.

once im done testing, ill get some pics for ya.

am i nuts? or is this really neat?

lets see some pics and up that multi! :attn:
Archangel4life said:
wow.

Ok. This was suggested by Tony from OCZ. im sure you guys know him.

anyway, i was running into a fsb barrier at 225 fsb with my ocz eb platinum.. i wasnt even prime stable for longer than 10 minutes. This is on an AMD platform, nforce 2 Abit nf7 2.0

the timings i was using were 2.5-3-2-8 the default timings for the ram. @ 2.98 volts to memory.

Tony suggested to try the pc 3700 ocz eb platinum timings of 3-3-2-10.

so i did, and now im not only prime stable at 225 when i wasnt before, but i figured well now with cas 3 i should be able to gain 5 mhz fsb from the ram. so i started pushing.

225, stable. 228, stable. 230? stable as a rock. but was i done? no. with multiplier at 10, and 1.75 volts to cpu, i kept running with it. 233? no problem. wow. 236? easy.

the magic 240? yup :)

im priming 244 right now guys, and for an amd system, this is nuts.

now i think that because the OCZ EB series is designed to reduce "noise" from overclocking , the ram is built around its specified timings. any change in these timings causes instability with the ram, for instance, if its 2.5-2-3-8 rather than stock at 2.5-3-2-8, the ram's stability is hugely affected.

so i believe that the ram's "noise" control is based around the 2 sets of timings, the pc 3500 eb's and the pc 3700 eb's.

so thus a small change like that can allow a huge stability and overclocking increase, based on the design of the ram.

once im done testing, ill get some pics for ya.

am i nuts? or is this really neat?

woah, thats pretty nice! do think u can push it any farther? if u got OCZ's DDR Booster u could get some more voltage into that chip and see just how far it can go.

the booster should be here today sometime.

i know my chip can do 2.7 ghz. :)

it wasnt prime stable at 244, so im back to 240,

ill up the multi, i wanna see how this thing does 3dmark 01.:attn: :bday:

god, this is withouta modded bios... this is stock d10.

this is a new nf7 board with a newer ram, so i hope when i try merlin's d25 it will be amazing.

Archangel4life said:
the booster should be here today sometime.

i know my chip can do 2.7 ghz. :)

it wasnt prime stable at 244, so im back to 240,

ill up the multi, i wanna see how this thing does 3dmark 01.:attn: :bday:

god, this is withouta modded bios... this is stock d10.

this is a new nf7 board with a newer ram, so i hope when i try merlin's d25 it will be amazing.
:eek: :drool:

Wow, that's interesting- and by the way an impressive overclock!

By now I think the EBs are too expensive for me, probably I have to stick with two A-DATA PC4000 :(

K4mui said:
Wow, that's interesting- and by the way an impressive overclock!

By now I think the EBs are too expensive for me, probably I have to stick with two A-DATA PC4000 :(
ebs are excellent ram and well worth the $ especially for a64

Thats normal. Micron dosnt like Cas lower than 3 at all. You wanna see something crazy? See my sig.

Crank your timings to 3-2-2-11. Gaurntee ya it will be stable. Who needs cas2 anyway?

Sentential said:
Thats normal. Micron dosnt like Cas lower than 3 at all. You wanna see something crazy? See my sig.

Crank your timings to 3-2-2-11. Gaurntee ya it will be stable. Who needs cas2 anyway?
all bow to sentential god of mT-5BC ;)

hey sent, i guess our summer oc's are the same now.... :)

now, i need to use a modded bios. :burn:
:burn:

11x240.JPG

:burn:

sorry if its a little too big, i hate trying to resize in paint.:)

ill try merlin's d25 tonight. im on the abit stock d10 right now.

oh yeah i ran 3dmark 2001 without changing priorities.

umm sent, it wouldnt post for me at those settings.

i reallly think it has to do with the way that ocz makes this ram the EB really needs specific timings to overclock correctly and reduce "noise"

nocturnal714 said:
ebs are excellent ram and well worth the $ especially for a64

Uh, that's your point of view... mine is different. Of course the EB are nice, but here they are very expensive- 120€ more than A-DATA.
Ok, for sure they are better, but are they worth it? In Sandra they probably are, but I dislike playing Sandra ;) And in games you won't recognize the difference afaik

this is very interesting info. i've got a gig of 3500eb on its way to me right now. im interested to see how it does in my p4 setup.

The thing that really interests me is how necessary it is to have the ocz eb at the proper timings, as set by ocz.

for some reason the ram only ocerclocks, and is stable at those settings..

i read not too long ago that OCZ's EB advantage comes from the way they set up the chip, not the micron its self. so i think that ocz build the memory around these given timings, and if these are different or changed, then they just arent as stable, it causes "noise" on the pcb, and overclocking stability diminishes drastically.

Shuzzy said:
this is very interesting info. i've got a gig of 3500eb on its way to me right now. im interested to see how it does in my p4 setup.
should do great shuzzy

Hmmm very odd. Ive heard that some of the 512 modules dont do 3-2-2-11. Very strange. Either way, try going over 240. Mine does 246ish with 3-2-3-11.

ok, when ever i try to prime it now with the ocz ddr vbooster it gets fatal error, failed to read from temp file.

everything seems quite stable. tho. this is happening when im at 2.98v, (remember i set highest vdimm in bios for vtt track) 3.08, 3.14, and 3.28.

i dont get it. ill run 3dmark.'

im at 245.

Back