• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Kind of Ram to get for P4P800 Deluxe and P4-M?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kaotic504

hi, this is my first intel build. i'm only experimenting b/c a friend of mine gave me his 2.0ghz P4-M for free as compensation for fixing his laptop. i have bought a P4P800 Deluxe, i chose this b/c i needed ATA RAID since i'll be transferring my RAID-0 setup on my AMD rig to this one. well i'm wondering what ram should i use to get some great clockspeed w/ this chip. i've read that mobiles can do over 1ghz faster than their rated speed. but i'm on a budget, i can't spend over $150. i'm thinking about Crucial Ballistix PC4000, Corsair Value Select (b/c it's cheaper), OCZ Performance Series. any suggestions?

kaotic504 said:
hi, this is my first intel build. i'm only experimenting b/c a friend of mine gave me his 2.0ghz P4-M for free as compensation for fixing his laptop. i have bought a P4P800 Deluxe, i chose this b/c i needed ATA RAID since i'll be transferring my RAID-0 setup on my AMD rig to this one. well i'm wondering what ram should i use to get some great clockspeed w/ this chip. i've read that mobiles can do over 1ghz faster than their rated speed. but i'm on a budget, i can't spend over $150. i'm thinking about Crucial Ballistix PC4000, Corsair Value Select (b/c it's cheaper), OCZ Performance Series. any suggestions?

Ummmm, I don't think you can use the P4 mobile chips in a desktop motherboard, they are pinned differently. They may fit into the socket but the pins are not the same. Like if pin 1 on a desktop processor was +5v in pin 1, a mobile would not be the same it would be something different for pin 1. You can run mobile athlons in desktop boards but not mobile pentiums. I could be wrong about this but I am pretty sure I just read this somewhere in a magazine. You better check first so you don't fry your chip or motherboard.

Back