• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techun

i want to make a new computer, but i am currently mowing the lawn and walking the dog for money...so i'm very limited there, but i now have enough for a computer, but not to buy windows...I have another computer using Xp, could i take my hard drive from that one and put it into my new one? Will i be able to use windows on the new one?

nope, when you build your new computer use whatever you want, whatever you buy, etc. When you activate its gonna tell you that there is already one copy in use, on your previous computer. Just activate via the phone, and tell the operator that you are building a new computer and want to use the copy of windows, they will give you an activation code and you'll be all set

Well, if it is an OEM version of windows, they won't let you. But don't despair, you can activate each copy a couple times. Then a few months later you will be able to activate again. Everytime I run into a big problem or change my setup around which is often, I reinstall XP. I don't have anything important on my computer except game patches and mods, but those can be re-downloaded.

well this was on a Dell, so would that be oem, and what exactly is oem, i see it on newegg a lot..its cheaper...

So i would have to reformat right? (not a problem really)

If your dell came with a windows cd and a little booklet and the key, that's an OEM copy of windows, if it came sealed in the package, chances are it's a different key.

Or you could save up enough for an OEM copy from Newegg, that would run fine on your computer. See, you can't use the OEM copy that came with the Dell machine, but you can buy a new OEM copy from like newegg and use it on whatever machine you pick (only 1 machine).

Or you could try to find a winxp disk and serial, my school got all new comps last year and they had a bunch of extra full (non OEM) copies of win xp pro still sealed and were giving them out to some of the staff... I was an assistant so I got a few :)

Or e-bay... careful of what you buy though.

Back