• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

100 buck choice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkFathom

Registered
sup Y'all
I have 100 dollars to spend on a kit, and i figured it would be a good move to check what you guys thought. The two kits i was looking at were the Evercool Watercooler (WC-201) or the Kingwin (AWC-1) Arctic cooler. I know these 5.25 bay drive coolers arnt very expandible, so if you guys have any suggestions to anything different, that would be great too, otherwise, your oppinion on which of those two would be fine. Im lookin for a good biginning mid-level kit. Thanks for the help.
-DarkFathom :mad:

You are better off saving another $100 or so and get a real system... what you are looking at is junk IMO. Don't spend $100 now then in 1 month spend $200 on a real system as you will have wasted $$$, trust me.

$45 MCW6002 WB
$68 MCP650/Laing Pump (12V) from voyeurmods.com
$35 D-Tek Radiator
$10 custom made shrouds or $20 to buy 2
$10 Clearflex tubing 1/2" ID
$30 on fans fittings and misc parts
-----------------------------------
$198 :D

K, thanks guys, if i do build my system, i also have a few parts in mind, if you could take a look at em too, thatd be great.
99-Black ice xtreeme 2 high performance radiator(fits 2 120mm fans)
45-Noise Isolator Water Reservoir with Pump (pumps 500 l/h :-/) WT-PUMP-110A
33-Noise Isolator Icicle Water Block WBK-DN-01
20-Noise Isolator AC relay
??- Tubing, misc parts
approx. 200-----------
ill deffinately take a look at what you guys said too, thanks again for the help

those parts you listed, well, they're alright, but the radiator is VERY overpriced.

For example, if you look here: http://www.dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/heatercore.asp

All of those radiators will outperform it. Just have them put some barbs on it, get it home and spraypaint it whatever color you want. Get the shroud, or you cn make one out of almost anything. I made mine out of cardboard, duct-tape and zip-ties. Spraypainted it to match my heatercore, and it looks pretty sharp IMO.

That pump is pretty underpowered. With the money you saved on the radiator you could step up to a MCW600 or MCW650, these work on 12V so you just plug them into a spare molex, and they'll outperform the pump you mentioned. You won't need a relay either.

For a waterblock, I'd take a look at the Dangerden TDX. You cna pick up 1/2" ID 3/4" OD tubing at dangerden, they have some stuff that glows in UV light, pretty neat. Pick up some clamps and you should be good to go.

I'd also recommend in saving your money and getting quality parts.

The Dtek TC-4's are only $25 now, or you can spend a little more money and get the Swiftech MCW6002 which is an excellent block. Depending on the case and room you have on a radiator, you can purchase a heatercore at a local automative place (autozone, etc). My Fedco 2-342 was less than $20 at Autozone.

As for the pump, advice above is good, the D4/MCP650 are nice powerful pumps for around $80. If you really want to buy a cheaper pump, Danger Den's L35 is around $55. It doesn't have as much head as the D4, but it is cheaper. Just depends on if you want to spend the extra $30.

Or buy a Danner MagDrive 3 for even less and it'll outperform all of the above mention pumps. It's a little noisy, but that can be fixed easily. Also, the MCW6000 has been shown to perform better than the MCW6002. I believe Phaestus reasoned this was because with 1/2" barbs it may be higher flow, but the velocity of the water itself is less, and due to the nature of the block, the velocity does improve temps, like a kind of jet impingement of sorts if I remember correctly. They're the same price anyway and 3/8" tubing is more readily available and possibly cheaper. Which pumps are available in 1/2" ID anyway?

Alacritan said:
Also, the MCW6000 has been shown to perform better than the MCW6002.

Have you got a link to where you heard this? I was always led to beleive the 6002 was better than the 6000

ukdan said:
Have you got a link to where you heard this? I was always led to beleive the 6002 was better than the 6000

"performance of the MCW6000 is better than the 6002 at flow rates of 1.5GPM and above"

link: procooling

Thanks for the link, Im just changing from a mcw5000-p to mcw6002 so i think i should see some improvement BUT im also adding a maze 4 chipset block. So will my system have much improvement or have i wasted money? before my config was:
mcw5000-bix-maze4 gpu-mcp600 pump-120mm heatercore-bay res-mcw5000

just building:

mcw6002-bix-maze4 gpu-maze4 chipset-mcp600 pump-120mm heatercore-T line-mcw6002

Well, you haven't wasted money. You have a NB block now so hopefully your overclocks will be more stable. Furthermore, the amount of restriction/heat the NB block pulls into the loop is negligable and you should still see a nice drop in temps on the cpu.

you can also get the eheim compact 1000 pump for $35. Pumps out 260+gph with 6 feet of head. Not bad in my opinion and its eheim quality!

i just spent about $90 on my own custom WC, using a whomping radiator, a tc-4 (we think), and a cheap little maxijet 1200.

if i had more money the only thing i would have changed is the pump. and added a gpu block. its hard to get anything decent for under $100, but i've spent many many hours looking for just the right parts. (hours that i would have spent working and saving for better parts if i had a job!)

i perosnally think radiators built for computers are a waste of money, they always cost a-lot and dont usually perform as well as most heatercores.

anyways, good luck with your setup build!

greenman100 said:
please post your evidence for such a claim
Purely by the specs, the mag 3 would seem a better choice, however, the heat which it produces is more than the MCP650 and the mag 3 has about 6 inches more head. Is it a better pump for water cooling? IMO not even close. The barb slots crack easily and it is (can be) noisy and is 110V. So, to summarize, to state that the mag 3 will outperform the MCP650 is not necessarily true, in fact, I would bet the MCP650 would yield better performance.

Back