• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling setup - Need some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RobxMcCarthy

Ok, well, I recently came upon a heatercore from an old chevette which fits perfectly in the top of my case... (which is where it will be in the setup) However, i've never personally done water cooling.. I'm interested in it mainly for the fun portion, but better overclocking is always welcome.

What I need info on:
-I have my 9800 pro OC-ed to 435 / 800 on air... if I did go with a WB for the Gpu what results coult I expect / is it worth it.
-If the above is True, what waterblock should I get, they seem a bit pricy...

-Is there any definitive waterblock review like the Air cooling charts? IE we all know that the thermalright air coolers are the best, but for water cooling... Cascade perhaps ($$$ too much...) white water sounds nice but in some reviews I've heard that the swiftech 6000 is better, in others that it's worse.. dangerden RBX wouldn't be good for my AMD I have heard..

So what waterblock is the best performance/price?

-I've looked into several pump/res options and have thought to myself that I might want to put the pump /res or just pump setup in the available space above my cd-rom.. which is easily 6 or so inches.

http://www.aquastealth.com/index.asp?PageA...WPROD&ProdID=35

I figure that that would easily fit in a 5.25 bay... plus it's 285 gph which should be more than enough.

The main question about the pump being - why doesn't anyone have the pump near the top of their case? (air bubbles? (which wouldn't be a problem for this one))

- What are the opinions on cooling the NB... I'm on an AMD base so I think air cooling should be sufficient in that area, but there's always room for input.

I'm thinking that I could build the entire system for about $100 if I shop around, but my budget isn't limited to that... I'm just trying to make it more affordable.

my current heatercore should be fine, but if you think another option would be much better I'm open to ideas. I'll be modding mine with a shrowd etc.. should be fine with 2 fans in a push/pull scenario. I'm thinking of leaving a non-sealed gap between the heater core and the top of the case, then having a fan mounted outside, most likely the aluminum aerocool 80 cfm blowing down on it, and a shrowded panaflow pulling through the other side. This should provide pretty optimum cooling I think that I should have plenty of space but that's one of those things that "we'll see" later on.. The only thing I worry about here is just adding heat to my case rather than exhausting it. I'm basing that idea on my current philosophy that my case temp is 33C while the room temp is 23 C.. The thermal probe may be off though, because even with the side of my case off and a fan blowing in (should be ambient..) I get 29-30c for case.

Therefore with water-cooling the heat from the processor (being the largest single heat producing component in the computer) should be brought to the position of the radiator at the top of the case... Thus lowering the overall case temp if I exhaust through the rad.. This is all getting fairly complicated lol..

Back