• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ic7-Max3 with Spark7+ hsf... having problems...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominatus

Registered
I have a new Ic7-Max3 mobo with a 3.0C P4 and I have a new Spark7+ hsf from thermaltake. I have put the p4 in and closed the zif socket (put the lever down) and now when I go to put the spark7+ on there with the retention clips I have trouble getting them to reach and clip on... I'm very afraid of crushing the CPU :-( :-( I am fairly well informed and educated in computers, but this is my first time building COMPLETLy from scratch, I have it all worked out except this one problem... should I just stop being a wimp and push a bit harder, or is there a problem with this mix of mobo and hsf that I don't know... or should I just go get different retention clips from somewhere...
Help...

I see that no one has responded...lol... that's ok... I got it late late last night, guess I was just wimping out... scariest thing I've done with a comptuter :p
BTW... This forum is pretty kewl, I'm finding loads of info on lots of stuff, dunno about the ppl yet... havn't posted or replied much... but I bet they are kewl too ;-)

Hey... I too have the spark 7 +. I have a asus mother board though. I recently upgraded to the p4c800e-dlx and I had to take the hsg off to switch it to my new mobo.... that was pretty freaking hard. I was worried the entire time if I was going to break my motherboard. i actually did end up breaking the stock clip on my old board, it's not too bad though and the stock cooling still works on it. Just be careful when you take it off.

My 2 cents

You won't hurt the CPU. They have a metal heat spreader that covers and protects the whole core.

Back