• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP is misdetecting my monitor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Frylock

Registered
I actually don't know what kind of monitor I have. It only says "emachines" on the front.

But ever since I installed my new graphics card (5700LE) WinXP is not detecting the monitor correctly. It just calls it "default monitor" rather than any brand name or "plug and play" designation, and fails to understand what resolutions and refresh rates it is capable of. I have "hide modes monitor can not display" checked, but it still lists, for example, 1600*1200 @ 120 hz (or something like that) as being available even though the monitor's highest possible resolution is 1280*1024 @ 60 hz.

I keep it at 1290*960 @ 72 hz, the highest hz it is capable of at that resolution. But it lists 150 hz as available at that resolution, which is wrong. (I tried selecting it just to see, and of course the monitor goes black and says "out of range.")

Not too big a deal except a couple of my games (Warcraft III and Tropico) screw up when I try to go to 1280*960 resolution because they think they can use a higher refresh rate than they can. (At least that's my theory as to why the monitor goes "out of range" on those games at that res.) Also, I'm just worried some nosey person will mess around with my settings and screw something up.

So... any idea why this problem is happening and/or how to fix it?

WinXP is my OS BTW.

-FrL-

Well I have never had windows detect my monitor corectelly :p

Maybe look around on the monitor for a model #? Maybe somewhere on the side/back? If you can find that, then you can find the drivers for the monitor and install them.

Frylock said:
I actually don't know what kind of monitor I have. It only says "emachines" on the front.

But ever since I installed my new graphics card (5700LE) WinXP is not detecting the monitor correctly. It just calls it "default monitor" rather than any brand name or "plug and play" designation, and fails to understand what resolutions and refresh rates it is capable of. I have "hide modes monitor can not display" checked, but it still lists, for example, 1600*1200 @ 120 hz (or something like that) as being available even though the monitor's highest possible resolution is 1280*1024 @ 60 hz.

I keep it at 1290*960 @ 72 hz, the highest hz it is capable of at that resolution. But it lists 150 hz as available at that resolution, which is wrong. (I tried selecting it just to see, and of course the monitor goes black and says "out of range.")

Not too big a deal except a couple of my games (Warcraft III and Tropico) screw up when I try to go to 1280*960 resolution because they think they can use a higher refresh rate than they can. (At least that's my theory as to why the monitor goes "out of range" on those games at that res.) Also, I'm just worried some nosey person will mess around with my settings and screw something up.

So... any idea why this problem is happening and/or how to fix it?

WinXP is my OS BTW.

-FrL-

go to emachines website and see if they have an ini file that covers all their monitors, certainly somewhere there is a model number on it..

Device Drivers > MS OSes is probably the best place to ask this question. Moved it for you.

Right click my computer. Then on the hardware tab click device manager. Find in the monitors category delete all the monitors (display adapters aren't monitors). Then reboot and it should detect is as a plug and play monitor and detect what resolutions it can and cannot display.

Good Luck,
Andy

In device manager it tells me I have 4 monitors. Thats right 4. I actually only have 2. It's always said I have 4 even when I do a clean install and I'm also getting improper refresh rate options. Any help on this one?

Do you have Svideo outs or anything? My GeForce 2 can act like dual monitors... one monitor being on the Svideo out.

Back