• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modifying the boot.ini file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xplos!ve

hi ive followed a guide to modify my boot.ini file so i can have a different picture for when windows boots up ive successfully followed every step until this last one!! all i have to do is change some text in my boot.ini file and im done.

i changed the text to what it had to be and went to save it and it says "Access to C:/boot.ini was denied" does anyone know how to solve this problem because i really dont know and would really like to have a different start up logo please help me guys!!

Which OS are you running? Also, it might be helpful to us if you were to copy and paste the contents of your boot.ini file into this thread.

the read-only box is unchecked, im runnign windows xp home, im logged on as administrator and this is what i have in the boot.ini at the moment:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

and this is what i want to put in it:

[boot loader]
timeout=2
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Hacked Startup" /fastdetect/kernel=kernel01.exe
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

any ideas plz guys

what are you using to edit the boot.ini file?

Try this: Save the new one to your desktop since boot.ini is readonly hidden system file. Then copy it on top of c:\boot.ini. You will then convert boot.ini to a normal visible not hidden, not system file. Don't forget to backup the original first

Last edited:
im using wordpad because my notepad doesnt work i dont know why but thats maybe the prob does anyone know where i can download a copy of notepad??

You can't use wordpad to edit boot.ini (I just tried it myself to double-check and got the same error). You have to use notepad. Go to c:/windows directory and see if notepad.exe is in there. Make your changes and save it in notepad, and all will be good :)

ps: don't forget to backup the original

One more thing I just thought about...you might want to run antivirus and spyware programs. Some viruses/trojans/spyware are known for replacing or modding your notepad.exe file, causing notepad not to be an option in "open with...", or removing it altogether

One thing you could try is going to start, run, then type 'cmd' in the box. When the dos thing pops up type

attrib boot.ini -s -r -h

Then do your modifying (using notepad) and when you're done, save it and close it. Then go back to the dos box and type

attrib boot.ini +s +r +h

See if that makes it easier. I mean sure, you could of course just check the "show hidden files" option and uncheck the "hide protected operating system files" box under the tools -> folder options thing, but with the attrib way, you at least know it's a normal file during the time you want to modify it.

Back