• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A64 3200+ / K8V SE Deluxe, what 2 sticks of 512?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gregory_WE

Assuming I get my order of the chip/mobo combo, what RAM would you recommend? I am really pretty unfamiliar with how the Athlon 64's and their various system buses work so I'm not sure what I should go for.

I've heard that this board isn't that great for overclocking with a high FSB because of no working AGP/PCI locks, but you may be able to get up to 230. I've also heard that it might be better to just get a stick of PC3200 that will do good timings at the lower FSB's.

I'd rather not spend more than $250 on the 2 512 sticks.

The "kits" don't really matter since this system won't be using dual channel anyways, right?

I'd like to overclock this system as much as it can be on standard air cooling. What do you think of this RAM?

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-012&depa=1

Supposedly, it'll do at least 250 FSB and also at lower FSB run good timings.

I have same bundle and went with OCZ 2x512MB EL Platinum:-

Link

I'm running at CL2.5 with a 2T (1T would not work at 200MHZ) setting everything else at defaults at 219MHZ Prime95 stable. CPU is running at 2408MHZ with stock fan and voltage.

The memory seemed stable, with these settings, up to 225MHZ (memtest86). However, Prime95 wasn't stable. I expect that the CPU needed some more voltage, but the BIOS only allows a 0.2 volt jump and I didn't want to take the hit in extra heat for this.

Hope this helps

Back