• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Poor performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

teamgreen

TDX
Maze4 nb
Polarflo gpu
5.5 x 6.5 hc (forgot fedco #)
mcp600 v2
1/2" ID tubing

Athlon XP 2500 mobile at 166x12
Abit NF7-S
ATI 9800pro

My temps have remained the same as when I air-cooled (about 10 over case).
I understand that my hc is rather small for all the blocks I have.
What I really want to know is if I should trust the temps I'm getting (on board guage + mbm) and if my pump can handle another small 120mm hc.

Also, I bought the mcp600 because of its performance and everyone's assurances of how quiet the pump is, but mine makes a considerable amount of noise. In fact it's the noisiest component in my system. Perhaps I've gotten a bad pump.

if pump continues to make noise then you should contact place you purchased it from.
also how open is your case up front for the heater core? how many fans do you have the heater core?

Is the tubing kinking anywhere? I see two tight turns in your pic.

What kind of noise is the pump making? Is it rattling against the case, or is it mechanical?

The front of the case has 5.25 bay covers that are preforated with a screen inside of each. It's a coolermaster stacker case.
I've got two 120mm fans in a push/pull each with its own cardboard shroud, putting each fan about 1" away from the core.

The noise is coming from the pump itself.
I picked up the pump while it was running and held it in my hand and it produced the same level of noise. Also, I can barely feel any vibration on the bottom of the case and almost none on the sides.

So you guys think this system is under-performing? I thought for all the blocks and the small hc that this was about what is to be expected.

There are no kinks:
http://www.ocforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=32644&stc=1

Attachments

• DSCF0015.JPG
    DSCF0015.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 401
take off your NB and replace it with a active cooler

also ur video card makes it hotter too

Yeah most AMD based systems definitely do not need a NB cooler (water based anyway), from all I have gathered a simple active cooler or even the passive zalman should do. This will only add more heat to the water.. Also are the fans pushing and pulling air from the outside of the case? or are they exhausting through the top of the case?

The VGA silencer is a great option for the video card if you want to simplify your system.

Also, feel the radiator, is it warm? In this case you need better airflow.

Also, how hot is the room temp compared to the case temp?

Also, what are your actual temps.

That's a weird exhaust system... looks like it would just wisk air across the bottom of the case... Air should be turbulent in that area and drawn up to the top of the case.

thats not true, my amd system benefited from watercooling, got me up to 200fsb compared to a vantec nb cooler which wouldn't go over 180.

try to find the source of your problem..
find the temp of the inside of your case.
reset the water block as well as checking paste impression on the block.
you have no exhaust fan on the back of ur computer, try putting one temporarly.

Exhaust fans near top of the case will help airflow.

Have to agree with Robx and Korndog on checking temps and paste impression on the baterblock.

Only other thing I thinking of is the pump itself, mechanical problem or not enough GPM for the system.

My room temps and case temps are usually 1-2 degrees apart.

I have two fans push/pull blowing into the case from the front.

I've always liked the positive airflow, because it's given me less dust inside my case in the past. That is why I don't have an exhaust fan other than the psu.

I figured the extra nb block was raising my temps a bit, but if it is, doesn't that make it necessary? will a passive zalman be sufficient?

I thought it may have been my pump, because it makes far more noise than I expected given all the things people have been saying about it. I got the pump from CrazyPC. How are they about returns?

If my pump is okay, I considered getting a small rad to mount on the back, blowing air out.

forgot,

I will try to re-mount everything.

I had to before, and I really hate the way the blocks mount. Everything is cool except the nuts on the backside of the motherboard. If one of them gets loose, I have to remove the entire board.

The hc is not hot to the touch, but isn't my finger around 35 degrees anyway?

The temps I've been getting are like 23 case and 34-35 cpu with 22-23 outside. I'm thinking with the setup I have this is about normal.
My main concerns are pump noise and whether or not this pump can handle another small rad.

Last edited:
i use a metal X brace from 800u to 900u etc heatsinks . then useing 6/32 screws to go through the board from the backside. then useing 6/32 nuts to bolt this on to the board itself. with this setup the board doesnt bow or flew and screws wont come loose. be certain to use nylon washers

Jen

Jen said:
i use a metal X brace from 800u to 900u etc heatsinks . then useing 6/32 screws to go through the board from the backside. then useing 6/32 nuts to bolt this on to the board itself. with this setup the board doesnt bow or flew and screws wont come loose. be certain to use nylon washers

Jen

You'll have to excuse my ignorance, but what is this metal X brace?
Where can I get it?
Do you have any pictures?

I considered cutting a hole on the motherboard tray so I can just access the back of my motherboard by removing the case's side panel.

the noise from the pump is probably temporary.
new mcp600s have to wear in their bearings
did u check the flow of the pump before putting everything together?

I checked the flow with about 1 foot of 1/2" ID tubing going into a sink full of water and about 12' of 1/2" tubing going into the tub (not exactly scientific, I know) and although the pressure was less than the iwaki I had before, the water came out pretty well.

How long does it take for the bearings to wear in? I've had the pump for over a month and it has been running almost continually for about two weeks.
I had heard about the break in period, but if I remember correctly that usually only takes a few days of continuous use.

A metal xbrace is just as it sounds. It braces the rear of the MB around the CPU socket and is also what the waterblock attaches to. Instead of using 4 individual screws through the MB to secure the w/b.

Back