• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual boot problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xstatic

I have a system that only has 1 OS but recently I put a friends HDD in the sys to fix it. After doing so I get the dual boot option before windows loads. Now that I no longer have my friends HDD in the sys I still have the dual boot option. How do I get rid of it?

I went into boot.ini and deleted this line...
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
but now I get a dual boot screen with Windows XP option and under that is Windows default option istead of the other Windows Xp option. But it still has the dual boot option screen. I do not what this. I want it back to normal. I want the system to boot fast and witht he dual boot screen it takes longer and I have to choose and its annoying.

Thanks.

go to control panel -> system -> Advanced -> Startup and recovery. Make sure that the version of XP you want is showing in the drop down menu, then uncheck the box with "time to display list of operating systems".

There is only one option to choose from in the drop down list and when i did what you said it still dont help...instead it selects the first option and it wont boot into windows because the installation it refers to is not there anylonger and I have to rebbot and hit F8 in order to choose start normaly and then xchose the installation to boot.

Control Pnel > System > Advanced > Startup and recovery

Has only one version of XP but when you reboot there are two?

1. Backup your boot.ini
2. Copy the boot.ini from your friends computer if he also has 1 OS on C Drive, replacing your old one.

Back