• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help format HP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UndyingClocker

Disabled
Hey guys my dad jus gave me a fre hp 1.8ghz p4,512 pc 2100 ram,40 gig hard drive the works. Anyway it came with windows 98 installed i was wondering how can i format it?? i tried putting in the xp cd but it doesn't find it like most other computers and says press any key to continue, What im trying to say is it wont boot with it. Help would be greatly appreciated. :p

go to www.bootdisk.com and download the XP setup disks.

you can also boot from a bootable floppy with CDROM support. Navigate to the cdrom, then to the i386 folder ("cd i386" is the command), then type in "winnt". that will start the XP setup. During setup, you can format the partition with windows 98.

Wow i totally messed up that p4 1.8 ghz i tried installing over the win 98..and its jus a mess...all i would like to do is get into the xp screen format the c drive and make a fresh install of windows xp. How can i go about this?

The problem is im leaving to europe tomorow today is my only chance to do this..all i wan to do is format the hd. can i stick it into my rig?? and somehow format it?? if so how?? if their are any other methodes plz dont be shy help me out. Thx

Know Nuttin said:
Does your computer have an OS that is functional right now and a CD-Writer? If so, create yourself a proper booting XP CD.

Might as well integrate SP1 into it.

This tutorial is for Nero 5 but it works the same for Nero 6 as well.

http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=249

I did everything perfectly as is done on the link...i put in the cd..it doesn boot..why???

Yup i did.. w/e im leavn to europe it was fun talkn to u guys ill be back in sept and witha new video card too !!! Hope to talk to u guys and see u guys soon!!

Back