• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tsulas

Registered
Hi All,

Well, my water cooling is working great, all custom setup. Temp drop is about 11 degrees (60 to 49) on load. (Load being Elder Scrolls 3, everything to max)

Next, it's all going into a fridge. Which is where I start to have second thoughts. Ok, so here's the idea:

I want to put the whole rig (No case) into a Bar Fridge.

Note: NO, there will not be any condensation... the fridge will remain closed, basically forever.

The part I am having trouble with, is the power supply, GPU, and Chipset. All 3 will generate heat, and I am not sure if it will be too much heat for the fridge to keep up with.

Maybe I will have to look into water cooling those as well. At least the PSU, and GPU. Not sure I want to watercool the chipset. It's big enough to use a fan on.

why will the there be no condensation? If anything generates heat, like the GPU, and the ambient air is colder than it....condensation will form, right? Isn't that what happens when you turn a car on in the winter? maybe I'm confused.

As to whether the fridge can keep up...how big is the fridge? what size condensor? I think a small, dorm-room sized fridge might have trouble. if nothing else, it'll produce KILLER energy bills, since the condensor would be on constantly.

To prevent the condensation, your going to have to remove all water/water vapor, and seal it tight enough to with-stand pressure changes associated with the temp difference. the cooler air is going to act as a negative pressure, and try and suck in air (and the water vapor in it) where ever it can.

Though I'm no HVAC guy, I seem to remember that fridges are relatively weak, and only designed to lower temps after a good long while, IF theres no additional heat added.

BlueMan said:
why will the there be no condensation? If anything generates heat, like the GPU, and the ambient air is colder than it....condensation will form, right? Isn't that what happens when you turn a car on in the winter? maybe I'm confused.

Other way around. It's when a cool item is brought into a warm area, it sucks the warm (moisture rich) air towards itself in order to balance the pressures. Cool air is a low pressure area, and warm is high (or opposite) so, it's natural tendancy is to balance itself, like everything in nature.

A for moisture in the fridge, being pulled in from outside, thats where I'm glad my parents own a farm, and Calcium Nitrate comes in handy. Calcium Nitrate absorbs the moisture from the air, which incidentally (Though not likely to any advantage) cools the air.

My real question is, will the chipset, GPU and power supply produce too much heat for the fridge... I guess only experimenting will tell. If all else fails, I'll water cool everything I can. :)

Does anyone sell a PSU WC?

tsulas said:
Other way around. It's when a cool item is brought into a warm area, it sucks the warm (moisture rich) air towards itself in order to balance the pressures. Cool air is a low pressure area, and warm is high (or opposite) so, it's natural tendancy is to balance itself, like everything in nature.

Does anyone sell a PSU WC?

not the best explanation, but ok

better explanation:

air at 20C can hold less water vapor than air at 40C without condensing

so when cold air heats up, no condensation

when warm air cools down, condensation

since the motherboard will never get cooler than the air around it, you are ok

just don't open the door with it running, warm in will rush in and hit the cold motherboard

Back