• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Copper elbows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fubulg6000

I'd like to know if anyone in here uses copper elbows in their system. I just bled the system and I had to use a copper elbow in order to get a good line to the heater core from the vid card block. The elbow is on a swiftech mcw50 with a short line, which then goes to the heater core.

So far the elbow hasn't leaked (unless I move it around) and I may just stick with it. It feels pretty solid but I'm not sure how long it will stay like that. So has anyone else in here used copper elbows in their system? If so, what did you use to prevent leaks and movement? I'm thinking about using a hose clamp, but I've also thought about using a glue gun. Any ideas? By the way, I can risk water getting on my components because I'm still using distilled water--haven't added the antifreeze yet.

EDIT: similar elbow: http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/555510.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, that distilled water is already ionized... dont count on it not shorting anything out. Anyway, get a hose clamp on that sucker NOW. No need to risk frying your system.

Haha, didn't realize that it ionizes so quickly. Just turned on my computer and it posted, even though I drenched my computer with a few ounces of water earlier. Guess I can't run it until tomorrow. It's going to be a little weird when I clamp the ends down. The copper elow that I have resembles an open copper pipe with a 90 degree bend. The tube fit snuggly inside. Hopefully the clamp works well.

EDIT: similar elbow: http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/555510.jpg

Last edited:
It's going to be hard to get the tube to seal on the inside of the fitting. Stretch the tubing over the outside of the copper elbow. Then clamp it around the outside. You can boil the tubing to make it easier to stretch around the fitting.

I have used copper elbows, the best and lowest rection, but you always put your tubing on the outside unless you have pushfits that are made to go on the inside.

Jon

I have done almost every line in a system with copper tube. :)

I still do use some copper fittings and I definitely suggest purring the tube over the outside of the fitting (just like on a barb) and then clamping it.

I ended up putting the tube around the copper elbow but I didn't add a clamp. The tube is really overstreched and I believe it wont fall off. Also, there is an elevated ring about 2cm away from the end, which, I think, provides a good seal to prevent leaking.

I'm using the system as we speak and I'm getting good temps--ambient 25C, CPU 31C idle (haven't loaded system yet) VID 34C. It is far cooler than the original air cooling, where CPU was at 38C idle, 45C load, and vid at 40C idle and 48C load.

Back