• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AI7 Onboard Sound/Dolby Digital 5.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ergnas

Registered
I was thinking about upgrading my sound sytem to a home theater system, for my computer, and I have been doing some research on the topic.

I read this in a "Home Theater PC 101 FAQ"

For example: if your card won’t pass Dolby Digital 5.1 (AC-3) or DTS streams over S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format, the de facto standard in digital audio connection), then it probably won’t do you much good in an HTPC environment.

I was wondering if the onboard sound on the AI7 can pass a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal over the S/PDIF. Thanks.

Good question which I don't know the answer to. My new HTPC system has a AI7, but I bought a Chaintech AV-710 sound card. Has the same chips and CODEC as cards costing 4X as much. Sounds good, supports up to 7.1 audiio systems and for only $25 it's hard to beat. Check out some reviews.

Are you running your HTPC to your reciever using an S/PDIF optical cable? If so would you mind plugging it into the onboard sound to see if there is any loss in quality, or if it still sounds ok? Thank you so much.

Back