• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking at PC100

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dnewhous

Disabled
I am looking at Kingston PC100 RAM (if you know anyone else that still makes it and you want to recommend, chime in) and they designate some modules "CL2" and others "CL3". Since I know from experience not all PC100 chips will work in my computer please explain the difference.

Crucial doesn't make a 512 Mbyte chip. I bought Kingston, they offer a 30 day money back guarantee and the lifetime warrantee. 1X512 <<$$ 2X256. This will max out my computer.

I found out CLx refers to latency, the lower the better.

The 512 MByte PC100 CL2 chip from Kingston did not work in my computer (by itself). I am sure this is my computer's fault. It has the problem that it has a 133 FSB but only a 100 chipset. It is a miracle it works at all. There are 2 more things I can try. 1)Although Dell's spec sheet says my computer can use 512 chips they weren't available on the market when I bought my computer. This makes me think that maybe my computer cannot in fact use 512 chips. Also, the original RAM chip that came with my computer was CL3 (the newer one is of unknown specification). Is it possible for a cheap *** computer to work with CL3 RAM but not with CL2? CL3 and CL2 chips cost the same. Maybe I don't have any choice with my miserable computer.

Dell L667r. I have successfully purchased new RAM for it before, but it is some offbrand junk that is no longer even in the RAM business.

Back