• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any *REAL* use in wcooling chipset?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lapino

Since my Maze4 block doesn't have any decent mounting for my i865 mobo and I already managed to break one mainboard (P4P800) due to the chipset block not making good contact (tried to mount it with those plastic strips) I'm thinking about removing the chipset block alltogether and only using the GPU + CPU block

So my question is essentially : is there any use in watercooling the chipset, considering the cpu+gpu will be watercooled and I don't do much oc-ing

lapino said:
Since my Maze4 block doesn't have any decent mounting for my i865 mobo and I already managed to break one mainboard (P4P800) due to the chipset block not making good contact (tried to mount it with those plastic strips) I'm thinking about removing the chipset block alltogether and only using the GPU + CPU block

So my question is essentially : is there any use in watercooling the chipset, considering the cpu+gpu will be watercooled and I don't do much oc-ing
I don't know about the i865, but my NForce2 gets *very* hot, too hot actually, under overclocking conditions. So it was either heatsink+fan or water.. i choosed water for the silence.
If you're not OCing and silence is not your #1 priority get a HSF or even go passive if your chipset is not too hot.

I noticed a thread around here about crushed NB cores due to the stupid mounting on the intel mainboards (instead of holes). there were supposed to be some pictures of custom mounts in that thread, but they're all offline

Intel NB's usually get a lot hotter than AMD's. Maybe you should look into water for that thing.

I just stuck my old 9800 pro hs/f onto my nb.. works fine for me.

The NB has a lot to do with voltages. If you increase your voltages at all you should make sure it has some sort of good cooling. If you chose to use water than it will be even cooler of course. Just be careful when mounting the block.

I just got my watercooling loop installed on the weekend. I also installed the Swifty MCX159-A nb cooler. When I pulled my stock nb sink off (I had applied AS stuff a year ago when I built it), it was only contacting the chip at the edge of the corners. With a thermal probe, I had measured the stock Asus sink at 40C at idle, so the chip was much hotter. I lapped my nb chip a bit, used AS5, and stuck the new Swifty sink on there. With a thermal probe, it measures 34C on the side of the chip. Coincidentally, this is the same temperature that my cpu (2500) and gpu (R360) are running at. So, for the price of a block, I get the same temps without adding extra heat OR restriction to the loop.

Just my experiences. ;)

i'd suggest save urself some $$ and just get a thermalrite nb-1c, it'll keep ur chipset nice a cool. Watercooling would be a waste of $ cuz it would restrict flow (depending on the block u get) and the performance gains would be nill (except lowering temps just a little). You wouldn't be able to overclock more if you were watercooling your chipset. IT's been done and thats why most ppl just use a hsf on their chipsets. I mean if you really want to do it, go ahead, but ocability wise, temps wise, and price wise your better off just getting a really nice hsf on there.

I was able to gain approximately 620Mhz in my overclock when I changed to a system utilizing a NB chip.
Old system: Maze2->Eheim1080->Chevette HC
New System: CascadeSS->NB->Iwaki 30RZT->2 10" single-pass cores->TEC-Chiller->*

I'm almost 99% positive that it was the addition of the northbridge chip that gave me the additional overclock.

vonkaar said:
I was able to gain approximately 620Mhz in my overclock when I changed to a system utilizing a NB chip.
Old system: Maze2->Eheim1080->Chevette HC
New System: CascadeSS->NB->Iwaki 30RZT->2 10" single-pass cores->TEC-Chiller->*

I'm almost 99% positive that it was the addition of the northbridge chip that gave me the additional overclock.

Are you sure it wasn't the TEC-Chiller?

second that

for normal wc, using a good hsf for ur chipset (thermaltake nb-1c) and wc'ing is the same thing in overclocking gains. I've seen many ppl try it with no benefits in an overclock.

You dont even need an active sink. An old aluminuim amd stock sink glued on keeps it pleasently cool even at 225 fsb (nf2). Considering the silence, and that it doesn't unnessecarily kill your flow, it seems pretty sweet to me.

Phextwin said:
You dont even need an active sink. An old aluminuim amd stock sink glued on keeps it pleasently cool even at 225 fsb (nf2). Considering the silence, and that it doesn't unnessecarily kill your flow, it seems pretty sweet to me.
Tried that - the NB went over 75°C. I don't like it.

vonkaar said:
No, it was definitely the NB waterblock that made all the difference.

Have you considered taking off your NB waterblock and using an active heatsink just to test your theory? I'm a bit skeptical as to how a NB waterblock could have given you the potential to overclock an extra 600 mhz. Unless you are heavily overvolting your NB, you don't NEED anything more than decent active cooling. I'd say it was the chilled water that let you do this.

Uh...

I went from a 1999 crappy water-cooling setup to pretty close to the best water-cooling system money can buy... do you really think that I believe the performance came from the NB alone? Maze2 to Cascade-SS? Chevette HC to a pair of massive high-flow single-pass radiators? Eheim 1080 to Iwaki 30rzt? 10-Peltier TEC chiller? Of course it wasn't the NB... Has the humor completely left OC?

You're not very funny. Moonwolf and I knew that you weren't telling the truth, but others not so attentive could have taken your malinformed advice and purchased unecessary hardware. So your "humor" could have cost someone $50.

Back