• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ocz ddr booster questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Charloz24

Ok I have 2X 256mb of Kingston HyperX pc4000 memory and I really don't know if it's BH-5 or not....(how can I know??)

I was wondering if the ocz ddr booster would help this memory on my abit IC7 max3 ? And do I need to do mod??

Thanks!

The answer to the first question is easy...No bh/ch in the PC4000. Most likely Hynix bt-d43 chips. Although I am quite certain about what is not in it, I am not so certain about what it does have. How can you know, well...PC4000 memory in general wasn't even sold until after Winbond ceased production of bh-5, and most importantly, the bh-5 chip is designed for lower fsb at faster timings (2-2-2-5), vs the PC4000 which runs at 3-4-4-8 or similar timings. The intended use is different.

If it is Hynix bt-d43, then it will probably not respond very well to increased voltage, at it seems voltage in excess of 2.9v or so ceases to provide additional benefits. Guys like flapperhead have extensively tested this ram (Hynix) and can provide you with more info on it.

On the board issue, I am not positive, but I believe that board requires some mods in order to utilize the Booster, but as I stated above, that ram may not benefit much from a Booster. Stuff like bh-5/6, however, will love it. Check the compatibility site or the Abit mobo section for a definitive answer to the mod question.

You need a VTT mod for the Max 3 since it doesn't track properly. Adding more dimm without making the VTT 1/2 of it will cause the board to be more unstable

Back