• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new guy new wc system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bmo

Registered
Hi all my name is brian, and now I am a waterholic...

After lurking around reading alot and checking out all the cool pics here I wc my system.
I have a gigabyte 8IPE-1000 pro-G MB with a P4 2.8 800fsb running at 3.08. Right now I am only cooling my cpu. Until I get my gpu block in.

The main question is that at idle my temps on the cpu are 17-18c, after a game of UT2004 the temps raise up to 23-24c but cool down fast to idle temps in around 2-3 minutes. Is this normal temps? I know that everyone rig will be different... I am using MBM5 for the readings. I do have temp sensors from my hard drive coolers, But I don't know were I would but them to get a real reading from the cpu...

Well just looking for some input.

thanks
Bmo

Those temps are...unbelievable with water only and the only possible way would be if your room was freezing..literally

I don't think it's possible to be lower than the ambient tempature..

Thats what I thought... ????
but thats only about 65 f
Bmo

The room temp is about 70F
I think that I am... It says CPU temp...

The main reason I am using MBM5 is that in the bios before WC then temp almost always said 25c/25c. With MBM at least the temp moves around alittle.
The only thing that I can think of is that there is a A/C-heater vent in the floor about 1.5 feet in front of the PC's front were the rad is mounted. There is a 120mm fan behind the rad that draws air in... I have had the A/C...
But I think that I am just searchin for a reason there.

Thanks
Bmo

I just rebooted and went into the bios and it did read 18c.
I guess its right...
wow kind of cool. no pun there.

Does anyone know how to mount or were to mount a temp sensor for the cpu ?

Thanks
Bmo

Bmo said:
The room temp is about 70F
I think that I am... It says CPU temp...

The main reason I am using MBM5 is that in the bios before WC then temp almost always said 25c/25c. With MBM at least the temp moves around alittle.
The only thing that I can think of is that there is a A/C-heater vent in the floor about 1.5 feet in front of the PC's front were the rad is mounted. There is a 120mm fan behind the rad that draws air in... I have had the A/C...
But I think that I am just searchin for a reason there.

Thanks
Bmo
Since the bios says 18c now and it did say 25c, I'd say those temps may very well be accurate to within 5c... IF the rad's drawing in the cool A/C air...

If the A/C is set at 70f(21c) then the water cannot be any cooler than 21c, which means the CPU can't be cooler than 21c...

So they could be correct..but off by 5-10c

Syx said:
If the A/C is set at 70f(21c) then the water cannot be any cooler than 21c, which means the CPU can't be cooler than 21c...

So they could be correct..but off by 5-10c
Wrong... The air coming from the duct should be WAY cooler than the temp it's set to... We have 55f air coming out of our vents when it's 95f outside...

best watercooled system has a C/W of about .15

and that's a cascade SS, huge pump, huge rad, huge fans

so the CPU cannot be any cooler than 36C load, given his overclock

and I doubt he has a cascade SS, huge pump, huge rad, huge fans

so he's off by at least 11C, I'd guess closer to 20 or 25C

well now im goin to movemy computer under a vent but that doesnt make sense when i look at my bios it says 21c and when i goto mbm itts 32 shouldnt his bios be lower cause its mainly nott doin much

Alright, 55f is 12.7c... So using this calculater here http://www.benchtest.com/calc.html his CPU's putting out somewhere around 82w of heat at full load. Input high temp of 24c and we get a C/W of .137, almost .14. Now lets add that 5c error margin... C/W of .198, which is a perfectly realistic C/W rating.

greenman100 said:
so his a/c is running 24/7?

something's not making sense
Doesn't sound right to me, but if it's set at 70f and he has an inefficient heat pump/A/C unit AND it's hot outside (like it is in the east right now), then it may very well run close to 24/7.

Big pump, OK rad, 1/2 line nothing special yet..

Pics here...

Attachments

• aa.JPG
    aa.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 123
  • bb.JPG
    bb.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 125
ya its a zalman block.. got it off a friend and put 1/2 nips in it.
Like i said new guy new WC system... "no thing special yet"

The pump is from a local pet smart,magnetic drive 250 gph and 7 feet pump height, works good for me sorry it doesn't say XXX brand.

Being that its my first try at w/c I just wanted to know about the temps, Didn't want to start a ****ing match of yes/no way.

Bmo

Back