• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc 3500 or pc 3200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cchiu

Registered
My system:
AMD a64 3200+ Newcastle
Asus k8v se deluxe
PNY 512 pc3500
Western Digital 160

My motherboard takes only pc 3200 max and the PNY 512 pc3500 is backward compatible with the MB. I do not want the 1GB ram right now but i will need it later. Does this MB and the ram compatible with the regular 512 pc 3200 value ram such as Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, Crucial... If not, i will just sell the PNY on ebay b/c i heard they make bad ram. Does the PNY pc 3500 have any advantage over pc 3200?

Welcome to the forums.

Just because your motherboard only "supports" PC3200 doesn't mean it won't run higher. For example I'm running my supported limit of pc3200 (400 fsb) but I'm running it at 470 fsb. So you can buy however fast you want and the motherboard will run fine, jsut not to the max of the ram until you overclock.

But when you buy ram you don't really want to rely on what brand or what speed its rated at, you need to know what chips it has on it. For example knowing that the old Buffalo PC3700 was BH-5 saved alot of people alot of money. Most big comanies such as Mushkin, OCZ, and Corsair were charging big bucks for BH-5 sticks but you could pick up a gig of Buffalo for close to what they were charging for 512.

As to your question of what ram just search around the for any post in the memory section with A64 in it and you will find more than enough info. Good luck.

Back