• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laing D4 barbvs are crazy...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Senater_Cache

I am in the process of ordering my D4, and I am undecisive about the barbs.
I would love to have the intake be fitted with a 1"ID or 3/4" ID tube between the T and the pump.
I know that the D4 barbs are very bulky and I am not sure if I can get 1/2"ID clearflex over the 3/4 outlet barb if I do go with 3/4 barbs ?

Has anyone fit 1/2 clearflex over 3/4 D4 barbs?
If anyone owns the pump, do you think this is possible ?
Regards,

SenC.

I'm running a D4 with 3/4" barbs and 1/2" R3603, currently, but ran Clearflex until my Tygon arrived. Only way I found to get the tubing over the barb was to boil some water in the microwave and then dip about 4" of tubing into the water for about 30 seconds. This softened it up *just* enough that it would stretch over barbs if you applied some determined twisting to the tubing. I'd get about half of it easily stretched over the barb, and then slowly and *forcefully* apply downward pressure while twisting it back and forth 1/16-1/8" at a time, gradually easing a respective amount of tubing over the barb. As soon as the tubing cools it forms one heckuva tight seal over the barb, which is nice because there really isn't room to fit a worm-drive clamp over the barb. I just use a clean-looking zip-tie for peace of mind, but I'm 100% sure it's not even necessary :)

Been there, done that. Just do what Styyn said and it will work. Wear gloves of some kind since tubing will be hot.

alright guys, I appreciate your input ( though only two) I ahve placed my order, and I asked for 3/4 barbs.....hope itll work out good. Thing is , I believe Cathar and nikhsub were running 3/4 ODs, but as it turns out nik isnt, and Cathar hasnt been here for a while....too bad.
I hope that friggin tubing wont give me too many headaches though lol...

SenC.

klath said:
Then the question would be, how would you get it off? Dip the pump in boiling water?
No you'd have to cut the tubing... Cathar does have the 3/4" IIRC.

i wish i read about the heating method earlier....i just used alot of muscle and forcing and my 1/2" id clearflex fit on the barbs.

drewdogg808 said:
i wish i read about the heating method earlier....i just used alot of muscle and forcing and my 1/2" id clearflex fit on the barbs.

LOL. You must have lots of muscles. I'm a wimp so I used the above method and got it in without breaking a sweat :D

Yes, I have the 3/4" OD barbs.

Just did the hot water trick. I get the tubing half on, and then used a pair of needle-nose pliers to grip the remaining edge and drag it over the lip of the barb. Took a few goes. You can pull the tubing off again if you want, although it will be permanently stretched and no good to put onto 1/2" OD barbs any more, but significantly easier to get back onto the 3/4" OD barbs if you do it again...

Back