• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTD Female voices or AI type of software for XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capt Fiero

Ok so I am playing around with my computer and thought that it would be kinda cool to replace all the regular beeps and bongs that XP has with some sort of sound scheme. Then I started thinking maybe one step further and add some voice recognition software to the mix. Then like all real geeks do I am looking for something even further, something that can respond to verbal commands. I know, I know any sort of AI even the most basic AI is totally out of the question. But it would still be fun to have the computer respond to certian actions with some sort of voice. If I can find a sound scheme that has voices in it, I might be able to do something with Dragon or some other program so that I can tell my computer to do something and it will reply with a verbal confermation.

So this is a 3 part question
Does anyone know of or have a female voice sound scheme for windows XP.
Does anyone know of or have a recomendation for a decent voice recognition software pack like Dragon Naturally speaking.
Does anyone know if any programs or software that will do something along the lines of what I want to do.

My machine is a 2.8C pumped to 3.2 with a gig of ddr 400 ram. It should be enough for a basic setup like I want to do. If it works, I will post a short video of it. I will also post a complete how to, once I figure it out.

No idea what type of software would do it, or the female voice scheme but this sounds pretty cool. I'll look around a little and try to find some stuff out to help.

Edit=
Now that I think about it, I think I used to have a female voice that would say "Windows activated" When I would turn on my p3 733 on. Hehe, I'll see if I have that clip somewhere.

yeah I wish it were easier to find sound schemes for windows. 99% of the time I have WinCustomize stuff on my bootscreen, my login, my theme, my icons, everything, but the sounds are still the generic ones, it makes me want to cry :(

i usually use sound clips from movies for my windows themes, maybe you can clip some from a scifi movie with a female computer in it, or just ask a girlfriend/wife/friend to sit down in front of your pc with a mic and a script for a little while.

WejRepus said:
just ask a girlfriend/wife/friend to sit down in front of your pc with a mic and a script for a little while.

Or just follow that girl that you're always had that highschool crush on but were never able to ask out with a tape recorder. Make sure you wear a full length trench coat and sunglasses for effect. Record her everyday conversations and then splice them together to get whatever combination you want. I currently have this set up and it works well for me...

J/K hehe
:)

WejRepus said:
i usually use sound clips from movies for my windows themes, maybe you can clip some from a scifi movie with a female computer in it, or just ask a girlfriend/wife/friend to sit down in front of your pc with a mic and a script for a little while.

I thought of that, but I hear enough of my old lady during day to day stuff, the last thing I want is her telling me that I cant do taht operation, or there has been an error. I thought about using another girls voice one of my friends, but that could start up a whole other war having "the other womans" voice on my machine. LOL oh well I am just going to keep searching.

ont of my less-educated friends has this spidermanoncommand thing he got from poptarts, apparently it is voice recognisation...if that helps at all.

says it can be used to activate programs and such.

Well I got the voice recognition stuff now, I can open my email, open Internet Explorer and get it to go websites on command now. I just need the voices to get it to talk back to me now.

wasn't there one of those accessibility features a while back where you could have your pc read you the dialogs etc? and you could chose voices, speed, and all of this....

no clue where to find it... but i remember it well... i used to create error messages where it told me to "get lost" in a very unpolite manner

edit: narrator... start > all programs > accessibility > narrator ... although i remember being able to choose from a variety of voices
edit2: start > control panel > speech
edit3: click this link

Last edited:
Back