• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SBS 2003 backup help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mortis03

Hey all, not sure if this post should go here or if it should go in the security forum.

Anyway, I'm trying to get a server to back itself up everynight. I'm using the backup utility that came with sbs2003. We have a dat 72 scsi external drive hooked up and everything is going pretty good I think. One problem... it gives an error of "Cannot locate the spcified media or backup device. This backup operation will terminate." This threw me for a loop for a while, b/c I could get a backup to work as long as I manually started it. After playing w/ it for a while, turns out the schedualer is set up for 4mm dds tapes. I came to this conclusion after the schedualer said that tape media was not found but it saw the dat 72 media and asked if I wanted to make the back up there. I'm assuming that's the problem.

Question is, how do I get the utility to look for a dat 72 tape and not the dds. Any help or point in the right direction would be great. Thanks

Ok, DAT72 is still 4mm, its one and the same.

But there is a chance that Server2003 may have installed a generic 4mm device. Did you add any 3rd party drivers to the server?

Look at devices in control mangler. Under tape drives, is there more than one device listed?

I installed the drivers that came with the tape drive. And no, it doesnt show 2 devices in control manager. Let me double check real fast. Thanks for the response.

I see

-media
-media pools
..-free
....-4mm dds
....-cdrom
..-import
....-4mm dds
....-cd rom
..-unreconized
....-4mm dds
....-cd rom
..-backup
....-4mm dds
..-libraries (both of sub points give full name of drive)
....-samsung cd rom
....-dell dat 72
-work queue
-operator request

ok, as I thought. Windows see dat72 and 4mm as one and the same.

There needs to be media located in the free tab and/or media with space availble to append or over write in the backup tab.

To make this easier on you, insert a tape into the drive, when you see the volume name in the libraries for dell dat 72, note it, and then move that volume to FREE on the media pool, also click on the media and make sure it is not read only or any of that jazz, by moving it to free, it should not have anything of that stuff

When I instert a blank tape into the tape drive, it doenst show up under the dell dat72

Do I have to format the tape, or is the drive installed wrong maybe? That wouldnt make sense, because I have been able to make copies, just not schedualed ones

Hmm... still didnt show up. I accidently hit injuect wizard though and it said library is full, no room to inject. I have the tape drive and a cd-rom. Both have media in them. So this does mean the computer can see the tape right?

ok, I'll try that. Only problem is I couldnt even get it to do a manual backup yesterday when I was trying the things you suggested. I'll try it this monring again.

Ok, I got it to work by unistalling the drivers and then reinstalling them. What I did was go to device manager and then clicking the tape drive -> properties -> unistall drivers. After that the tape drive didnt show up under the other devices so I clicked scan for hardware changes. It showed up under tape drives and then I installed the drivers off the cd dell gave me. I hope this is right. Anyway, it gave me an error that said no free media was found but it found a tape and asked if I wanted to write to that. The volume showed up under the libraries->dell dat72 tape drive heading. I tried to move it to free then and it said that the resource was in use. That makes sense I guess. But I'm not getting why it doesnt want to make the tapes go into free in the first place.

You cant move the objects from the devices, you can move the from import,free,blah blah to other areas.

Look above the physical device, do you see that volume listed now? Right click on the physical device and say inventory again, this should put it there,

Ok, I've been looking around the net and it seems like ppl with very similar problems add a /um switch at the end of the string and it fixes it for them. When I add /um to the end of my string, the job doesnt work at all. When it's not there, the job will try to work, but give the error "Cannot locate the specified media or backup device. This backup operation will terminate." in the log.

C:\WINNT\system32\ntbackup.exe backup "@C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\NTBackup\data\Daily.bks" /n "Media created 8/6/2004 at 9:58 AM" /d "Set created 8/6/2004 at 9:59 AM" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /hc:eek:n /m daily /j "Daily" /l:s /p "4mm DDS"

Is the string that is created at the end of the backup wizard. Can you help me add the /um?

Ok... I got it to work. From the backup heading -> 4mm dds tape, I right clicked each tape (free was faded out) and I clicked deallocate. After that I was able to free the media. It works just fine for schedualed backups and for manual now.

Only question left is how do I get the media to go back to the free pool. Once it's used once, it goes back to how it was. Thanks a ton for the help btw :)

Back