• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows XP system disc creation? Disc medium? Formatting and OS installation?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xdrive

Hey everybody. I now have all my parts in for building my PC except the Arctic Silver 5 which will *hopefully* be here either today or tomorrow. As for my current functioning hardware (that I'm typing this on), I have an e-Machines T-1090 with a shot floppy drive and is running pre-installed Windows XP home edition. Now I was reading THIS ARTICLE about building a PC and it goes through all this rigamarole about installing older OS's to update to a current one if needed, about *creating a system disc floppy* to run basic commands, etc. over the few surrounding pages there.

Now I just bought a copy of Windows XP Professional via my campus bookstore and got it really cheap b/c of student discount. Do I need to make a system disc since I already have the OS disc? And if so, how do I do that on my windows XP Home Edition e-Machine with a DOA floppy drive (I do now have a new floppy which should work - see below)?

The parts I already have for the system I'm getting ready to build:

Abit NF7-S
Mobile 2600+ ("I" stepping)
512 (2x256) Mushkin Level 2 black CAS.2-2-2 #990990
Raidmax Storm Series 847w w/420 PSU
Leadtek Winfast ti4400 128mb
Hitachi 160g 8MB 7200rpm (still in packaging - should work)
NEC 3.5 floppy (this is still in packaging so should work)
Philips CD-RW 2000 (in my current pc - will move to new rig when built)
Windows XP Proffesional English Disk Kit CD (from school)

With that setup right there, will I need to create a system disc? If so, would it be better to make the floppy or make a CD since I have a burner? And how to do so? I really appreciate any help and responses!

Also, that article I linked above goes pretty in-depth, but I think it may be a tad out-dated in some ways. Some of the things they mention don't need be done/or are not included on the NF7-S ... I don't want to follow the article when doing this mobo and mess up. Should I have any worries about that? Thanks again!

EDIT: THIS is an article about creating a system disc, but it doesn't say jack about WinXP.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! So I just need to pop the XP-pro disc on the installed CD-ROM then set the bios to boot first from CD-ROM in order to install the OS to the HDD? After that I would just set the bios back to booting first from HDD, right? Thanks for the help!

PS: the d**n mail just came, and my AC5 wasn't in it! Hardcore Cooling emailed me two days ago at noon saying they sent it "FREE first class" which I assume means USPS priority (or first class) who guarantees 1-3 days delivery. If it's not here by tomorrow, all hell will break loose. - that would put me at Monday for building my computer - which would mean that I only get 8 to 9 days to try out my refurb ram from NewEgg to see if it works really well. Has anyone here been shipped items from Hardcore Cooling before? It's USPS, right?
/rant

Yeah. I ordered some AS5 from them 2 weeks ago. It took about a week or so from the time that I ordered it for it to arrive. It will get to your house eventually. They sent me a tracking number. It doesn't say much but at least the USPS site will tell you if it is in your zip code.

EDIT: They didn't send me a tracking number, I had to log into their site and get the number from my account.

Yup! In fact, you don't even really need to change the boot order to have the HD first after installing. It may slow down your boot times by a second or so, but I think the convienience of being able to immediatly boot from a CD is worth the wait (especially since I don't turn off my computer :D).

As for Hardcore Cooling, based on that wording (and how they have a picture of USPS mail), I would also guess that they mean First Class USPS mail. However, First Class probably isn't free depending on weight (I don't use USPS much, so I don't really know :D), so it's also possible that they're shipping by UPS or FedEx. Hopefully you get your AS5 soon so you can start playing with your new system!

*wishes you a smooth install*

JigPu

I ordered my AC5 on Friday, and they sent it out (by noon) on Teusday. So given the advertized shipping - one to three days- tomorrow's day three - so I hope it gets here on time. :(

My biggest problem is that I took the risk of buying refurb ram (saved 40 bucks though) and it came in yesterday, so I think I have 15 days from yesturday to RMA it if needed.

For anyone who's gotten bad ram - can you usually tell right away if it's bad or under-performing? Or might that show through weeks later?

I took a chance with refurb, and my allowed refund time is gonna be nearly cut in half. :-/

Boomstick said:
Do you have any other/generic paste you can use until your AS5 arrives?

Nope. :(

This is my first system and I don't have any. In fact, I called ALL the local computer stores earlier today (I have today off of work - was wanting to build it now) and none of those stores carry AS5. A *few* of the stores carried some generic stuff in limited supply. It's like compter parts and supply stores don't expect you to use thermal paste on your heatsinks and chips. :rolleyes:

yea, just wait for as5, although i have no test comparisoons between as5 and generic stuff but as5 has a lot of followers and they dont just appear for no reason at all, but dont forget as5 take a while to get to it full potential approx 200 hours

lets ahve some pics of this new system too when its up and running please.
Phil

PHILIP1193 said:
yea, just wait for as5, although i have no test comparisoons between as5 and generic stuff but as5 has a lot of followers and they dont just appear for no reason at all, but dont forget as5 take a while to get to it full potential approx 200 hours

lets ahve some pics of this new system too when its up and running please.
Phil

I don't have a digital camera... my GF has one though... she'll be up in a couple o' weeks. :)

Of course, my system won't be finished by then... much modding to do! But I'll get something posted here. :cool:

Back