• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep Kingston Value ram or upgrade.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homer77

I just received my kingston valueram pc3200 2x256mb dual kit today. The chipset is Infineon though. From what I read, it's not very good for overclocking, and I was hoping I could score a hynix or ch-5 cheap on the valueram.

Should I keep the ram or get one of the followings?

Patriot PC4000

Geil Ultra Series Value Dual kit

OCZ EL Series

Any recommendations? I plan to push to at least 240mhz, 2.5-3-3-5 if possible. I know Patriot rams are hit or miss, and OCZ are always good. I just like to hear other's opinion.

Feedbacks will be greatly appreciated.

You might as well see how the RAM you have overclocks first. Is this for your your P4 system or your AMD rig?

it's for the amd rig. planning to return the geil ram since i want dual channel mode. the geil ram was a decent ram too, it can run 230 @ 2.5-3-3-11.

go to your local BB and see if they got any mT's or any CC. if you can't find any try to get the hynix as they oc really good as well.

homer77 said:
sorry, but i m new to this. how do i know if it's mT or CC?
CC is for circuit city and thats where you can buy the kvr with mT-5BC (micron tech. chips) or with hynix btd43 or at bestbuy as well. those chipsets are much better than the ifineons.

And telling whether or not it's Hynix D43 or or mT -5BC takes looking at the labels printed on the chips of the memory modules.

johan851 said:
And telling whether or not it's Hynix D43 or or mT -5BC takes looking at the labels printed on the chips of the memory modules.
yea forgot to tell you, just look at the actual chips on the stick of ram and you can clearly see which is which.

i went to 2 bb near my house, and only able to locate 1 512mb dual kit. i couldn't tell who made the chip, but i m pretty sure it's neither hynix nor mT chips.

so i ended up just trying the pair of infineon chips from newegg. to my surprise, it actually works all the way up to 245mhz :eek:, 2.5-3-3-11 @ 2.9v and 210mhz 2-3-3-11. i know it's not 2-2-2-5 but that'll do fine for me :thup: .

btw, doom 3 is AWESOME!!! :drool:

Now that ain't bad at all for an NF7-S. CONGRATS! What does Sandra say at those speeds?

right now, they are running at 210mhz 2-3-3-11 since i can only get prime95 passed at 10.5x210mhz.

Result from Sandra Memory bench:
Ram Bandwidth Int Buff'd aEMMX/aSSE 3214MB/s
Ram Bandwidth Float Buff'd aEMMX/aSSE 3000MB/s

I used my p4 rig to test the ram limit since it can post @ 250fsb.

sort of in the wrong section, but i just flashed to Merlin's D25 bios w/ CPC off. Now I m able to run 10x230!!!

Now the memory bench is:

Ram Bandwidth Int Buff'd aEMMX/aSSE 3447MB/s
Ram Bandwidth Float Buff'd aEMMX/aSSE 3184MB/s

233/184 diff! :eek:

Sweet! Having CPC flexibility is a nice thing. What voltages (VDD and RAM) are you at?

Yeah, when testing for max FSB you want to lower your multi pretty fair to eliminate the CPU as a factor. Higher vCore does seem to help too...but I wouldn't push past 1.9v with your cooling.

What's your VDD?

Back