• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this classified as water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Heh, I don't think there's anything remotely close to water in those pictures :p. As much as I've heard about submersion cooling, I've actually never seen pictures of it implemented.

I've seen it done before, and it always makes me wanna do it too...just not with my machine :D

It looks like transformer grade mineral oil. It's an amber color instead of the normal clear stuff we're used to seeing. The power co's switched to using it to get rid of the PCB laden stuff they used to use.
It'll take quite a punch too, if memory serves, about 50k volts dielectric strength.

I don't upgrade my machines at all, I just build all new ones every time cpu's advance 1G. That's why it's always tempted me.
Beppi built a nice one some time ago...

Sweet :)

I'd prefer the clear stuff myself, which would be ok with some lower-power chips IMO. If I'm gonna do that, it's going to look good :D

yeah - but how availive is a non conductive liquid like that?

it would be nice but really - i am not overly impressed with the temps.

As for the water it likely is just air cooled - as the heat would rise out of the water and into the surrounding air - so if your room is nice and cool, then so will the water :)

Sweet.. I've heard of doing this before to but never seen any pictures. I think I would have been to scared to put the power supply's in there to. Nothin like a 110v fish tank. :)

cant you cool the oil? there wouldn't be any condensation would there?

I have been hearing about this for a few years. I was told that the liquid that is used in some of these applications evaporates extremly fast and is very expensive.

seaborn said:
I have been hearing about this for a few years. I was told that the liquid that is used in some of these applications evaporates extremly fast and is very expensive.
That's liquid nitrogen. This is just a plain oil submersion setup we are talking about.

Or 3M's flourinert. That evaporated quite a bit overnite in TechTV's trial, and it cost over $300 a gallon...but yeah, this is just a different grade of mineral oil, like a baby oil that you wouldn't put on yur baby :D

Condensation could be a problem if you chilled it. The air above the oil would need to be dried, and the outside of the tank would get condensation badly.
The way he's got the mobo's mounted up off the bottom and away from the sides, it wouldn't be too risky for those parts, but don't leave your mouse on the same desk...

Beppi had some problems with capacitors leaking, but I'd never found if it was from mad overclocking/overvolting, a known bad series of mobo, or if it was the oil...no way to prove it unless he saw this and chimed in...some say it can happen, but no-one's really proved it (hearing from a friend of a friend is not conclusive, 'specially on the net ;)).

how effective is submersive cooling and does anyone know the rough cost of some medium-range oil? Im guessing it would be more expensive than watercooling unless you make the tank yourself or get it free somewhere...
Are the temps worth it? It certainly does look different though :sn:

hmm... did they submerge the hard drive also? I can't see it in there... But since it is all moving parts, I think that it would not work in the oil... Correct me if I'm wrong.

enlightend said:
hmm... did they submerge the hard drive also? I can't see it in there... But since it is all moving parts, I think that it would not work in the oil... Correct me if I'm wrong.

http://www.tractum.de/

look at the last pick on the page the harddrives are out of the oil in the top left corner

I have actually seen this done. What made the one I saw interesting was that it was completly sealed except for the heatercore. There was a pump submerged in the liquid that pumped it through copper tubing to a rad then went back to the submerged computer part. It was all cooled with dry ice, which kept the liquid pretty cool. Dry ice is not expensive, but no one wants to make a run out to get it every day. I would think that you could use Pelts to cool the Heatercore or make a chiller. If you could water cool the pelts then you would have one hell of a sweet rig.

Back