• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just ordered some memory, question is... is it any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gorilly

CORSAIR (VS1GBKIT400) THE VALUE SELECT KIT SERIES - 1024MB - 2X512MB - DDR400 - PC3200 - sX184Pinn Dimms (LIFETIME WARRANTY)

for £110

i was going to get OCZ Enhanced Latency Dual Channel Kit (OCZ4001024ELDC-K) 2x512MB DDR400 PC3200 CL2 (LIFETIME WARRANTY)

for £160

but i thought id save some money as car insurance is due soon...

well anyway is it any good? im guna probably stick some heat spreaders on them (will this void warranty?).

also kinda off the topic, when i overclocked my fsb on my p4 my current 266 memory was running at 305mhz. i asked on this forum and was advised to get some 400mhz ram (i needed to get more anyway). well when i overclock wil this ram be running faster than 400mhz? is it safe to run this memory faster than 400mhz?

cheers!

it really depends on what chips are on the memory. corsair highly speed grades their memory so u probably arent going to get a diamond in the rough, but they should do the job.

as for the ocz, they just came out with the platinum pc3200 cl2 rev2 and it is really amazing. anandtech got 2225 at 433 at just 2.65 volts. then amazingly they got a 278 at just 2.85 volts.. this stuff looks very promising... cause it gives u the best of both worlds.. tight timings and pc4400 if u want that instead...

but i wont be changing volts i dont think, im not a heavy o/cer as you can tell, im still only learning. and my aim is to make my processor 2.3/4, make a few tweaks on my card and leave my ram as it is.

would i notice any difference unless benchmarking?

Which P4 is that...400 or 533 fsb? I'm going with 533, based on what you were running your ram at. PC2100 stock speed of 133MHz, O/C'ed to 152 (x2 = 305), multiplier of 15 means you're currently running at 2.28GHz if my math and assumptions are right.

The additional ram you are getting is designed to run at least 200, provided your cpu and board will. It will not hurt it to run over 200MHz, but you probably wont get there. Your board is no issue, but your cpu would be running at 3.0GHz if you were running your ram at 200, which would be a 50% overclock and certainly very nice, but I think unlikely. I don't know how high it will overclock, but not likely to 200 so you will either under ultilize your ram, or depending on what options that board has, use memory dividers.

On the question of the heatspreaders, I think the concensus is that their benefit is questionable and certainly not needed if you are not going to be increasing the DIMM voltage as you stated. If you think they look nice, then go for it. As far as warranty, most anything you do to mod a product, such as remove a sticker or sneeze on it seems to be a perfect excuse for a manufacturer to void the warranty. Personally, I would not install them, save your money for the car insurance.

Back