• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p4c800-e deluxe slow boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cd2k

Registered
Takes about 25 seconds just to get to the WinXp loading screen where the line scrolls at the bottom. Is this normal for this board? I have some other machines that takes less than 10 secs. I have 2 HDs raid0 , P4 2.8c, 9800Pro.

What part takes the longest to get past? Your RAID is probably whats slowing that part of the boot sequence down. You could try disabling your RAID controller in the BIOS and see how quick it takes to get to the NTLDR missing screen. That would show if its the RAID or not.

Was going to suggest exactly the same.

I presume you have nothing attached to the Promise SATA's or IDE sockets, and are using the ICHR5 jobbie for your RAID0.

Whip into the BIOS and disable the Promise controller, and see how that improves things.

There could also be other things within BIOS that you may have enabled which you do not need (other drives set to auto, serial/com ports, etc)

Waiting to hear back.

Run some up to date antivirus programs.

Actually, what you are reporting is not exactily unusual or unreasonable.

And as said above, RAID takes quite a bit of additional time to load. An acquaintance with RAID 1 reports 42 seconds from switch on to fully loaded.

Haven't yet managed to run RAID1 on mine, so can't comment on the difference in boot times between the two, but when I ran RAID0, it was pretty quick... like way quicker than 42secs... memory... maybe low 20's?

I know the Promise will initialize TONS faster with just PATA drives on it. Adding SATA drives on the Promise seems to really slow down the initialization. With 2 PATA Maxtors running in "IDE" mode on the Promise, mine is fairly quick to boot (SATA drives are on the Intel ICH5R). Shutting down is another story (Norton NAV is the culprit, I'm sure)... :cool:

do you have an single ide drive that is configured as a slave? or multiple drives that are both configured as master? a friend of mine had that problem.

Back