• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR Booster + My Ram=?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaMobster

Well I have been wondering for awhile now what would happen if I go the DDR Booster... I use 1 gig of corsair xtra low latency (black), and you can see my motherboard in my sig... I was wondering would I Need a mod for this, would it greatly improve it since my ram doesn't have the bh5 chip, and finally would it greatly over-heat my ram that I am using now?

Well I don't see your motherboard on the compatibility chart so using it on the board is a big risk. The samsung TCCD chips on the XL sticks don't respond very well to added voltage so I would say it's not worth it to get a booster right now

Steve

Actually my motherboard is supported up to atleast 3.4 volts... So I know my motherboard would not cause me a problem...

Ok well thats good. But the memory wouldn't really overclock that much better. Also your board is an AMD (non64) so your not really going to be able to get higher than this does on 2.8V (about 250Mhz)

Steve

would it atleast let me hold tighter timings at higher FSB, and also would it cause my ram to heat a lot more?

The acutal memory IC's on the XL are ones that don't like voltage. So unlike say bh-5 memory that would hold tight timings higher with more voltage this stuff doesn't..at least not to any noticably higher speed. Also added voltage will add more heat the the memory yes.

I'm not telling you NOT to get the booster because I have one and they are great...I just wanted you to know what to expect :D

Steve

Back