• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Internet Explorer acting up ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

Well, in task manager, I have a few internet explorer windows open, with mem and virtual mem sizes as such :

IEXPLORE.exe Mem : 3,204K, VM : 77,8K
IEXPLORE.EXE Mem : 6,000K, VM : 69,544K
IEXPLORE.EXE Mem : 51,740K, VM : 38,722K
IEXPLORE.EXE Mem : 27,726K, VM : 15,416K

so, what's up with this ?? Also, after a while, if I let them hog too many resources, I can't start up any other apps. THe computer just stops responding until I close one or more of them ... ? Any7body has the same problem ?

OS : WinXP Pro + latest updates + latest drivers .... this is getting annoying

spyware yeah, virus no (don't have any software, too slowing ;)) Anyways, it's a fresh reinstall of Windows, done 2 days ago .... I don't think I'm THAT vulnerable lol

With a frsh install of wondows 2 days ago I'm sure you're right. My meory usage for this I.E. window (currently the only one I have open) is Mem: 25.8K VM: 23.3K. So I wouldn't say that yours are using an extrodinary amount of memory.

k .... cuz I had some wierd problems before the reinstall (one of the reasons why I did it) where everytime the global VM size reached 500MB or bigger, the comp would freeze until I closed down some apps or windows ... I don't want the same thing to happen again :rolleyes:

does your page file flucuate in size or is set to a specific size? You might want to set it to a specific size and put it on it's own partition. I heard it helps. I used to get warning messages that I was running out of VM but then I did that and now everything is fine.

minoukat said:
Well, in task manager, I have a few internet explorer windows open, with mem and virtual mem sizes as such :

IEXPLORE.exe Mem : 3,204K, VM : 77,8K
IEXPLORE.EXE Mem : 6,000K, VM : 69,544K
IEXPLORE.EXE Mem : 51,740K, VM : 38,722K
IEXPLORE.EXE Mem : 27,726K, VM : 15,416K

so, what's up with this ?? Also, after a while, if I let them hog too many resources, I can't start up any other apps. THe computer just stops responding until I close one or more of them ... ? Any7body has the same problem ?

OS : WinXP Pro + latest updates + latest drivers .... this is getting annoying

The rise in resources used looks like a worm.....How do u connect to the net ? Is it a dedicated high speed connection or dial up ? If it is dedicated and you installed windows WITHOUT disconnecting the cable to your net connection,,,, infection by a worm is almost guranteed................ :bang head

I do this to protect my self..Disconnect cable modem,format drive,install fresh copy of the O/S,All hard ware drivers, Anti Virus and Firewall.Then connect the system to the internet for the required O/S updates and driver up dates....

I connect through a router (which has a built-in firewall) to a DSL modem. Also, I installed without the thing being connected ...

Back